Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

head swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default head swap

Ok so I bought a d1sc and I bought some 317's done by thompson. Im going to be doing the install my self. I have arp head studs allready installed. Ive found a couple head swap threads but nothing with studs. Do i just remove the nut to pull the head off the stud. does the stud come out or do i just slap on the heads and retorque? Im swapping my springs over to the 317's so ill need a spring compressor. Is there any other tools i will need specific to having studs? Thanks
Old 07-11-2013, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

bump!
Old 07-11-2013, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

someone knows bump
Old 07-12-2013, 08:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me get this straight, you have an engine that already has head studs and you want to swap in another pair of heads, right? Yes, just remove the nuts from the studs and pull the heads off (leaving the studs in place). Clean everything up like is shown on the LS1 how-to website. You luck out because you won't have to clean anti-freeze and grud from the bolt holes. Besides a valve spring compressor, you will need a torque wrench. A plastic ice scraper is handy to remove the gasket material and gunk from the block surfaces.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by batboy
Let me get this straight, you have an engine that already has head studs and you want to swap in another pair of heads, right? Yes, just remove the nuts from the studs and pull the heads off (leaving the studs in place). Clean everything up like is shown on the LS1 how-to website. You luck out because you won't have to clean anti-freeze and grud from the bolt holes. Besides a valve spring compressor, you will need a torque wrench. A plastic ice scraper is handy to remove the gasket material and gunk from the block surfaces.
Yes I had a shop put in the heads originally but with the d1 my compression was too high. I did see the ls1 how to thread they just don't mention studs. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-12-2013, 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

You will need new head gaskets of course.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

You will need new head gaskets of course.
yes Im thinking of going ls3 gaskets. we will see. Ill start another thread when i do the install and take some pixs.

The only other thing i really didnt grasp was putting the rocker arms back on. Do i just torque them to 22ftlbs or do i have to rotate the crank to get the tension off the spring/rocker?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:42 PM
11 Second Club

I see no reeason to get LS3 gaskets for a 346 cube motor. For a boasted motor, maybe consider LS9 gaskets. But, if you are N/A and if your bore size is no bigger than 3.905", then just get GM MLS LS1 gaskets (see link).

GM LS1 MLS Head Gaskets

Yeah, it's best to torque the rocker arms with the valve closed if possible. That means cranking the motor over a quarter of a turn for a couple times to get all the rockers.

How many miles is on the engine? If you have quite a few, you might consider new lifter trays. Maybe even new LS7 lifters.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I see no reeason to get LS3 gaskets for a 346 cube motor. For a boasted motor, maybe consider LS9 gaskets. But, if you are N/A and if your bore size is no bigger than 3.905", then just get GM MLS LS1 gaskets (see link).

GM LS1 MLS Head Gaskets

Yeah, it's best to torque the rocker arms with the valve closed if possible. That means cranking the motor over a quarter of a turn for a couple times to get all the rockers.

How many miles is on the engine? If you have quite a few, you might consider new lifter trays. Maybe even new LS7 lifters.
thompson has a 1000hp turbo car with the ls3 gasket. thats what he recomended. the motor only has about 2k miles evrything in it is brand new. whats the best way to turn he motor over? a big cheater bar on the crank bolt? thans for all the help btw
Old 07-12-2013, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

Yep, breaker bar and socket on the pulley bolt is the easiest way. I have bumped the engine over with the starter too if the plug wires are off. The motor will turn over easier if the spark plugs are out (no compression then).

Do a quick search on LS1tech and I think you'll see the LS9 gaskets are the ones to use for boast. Basically, a LS9 is a supercharged LS3. The LS9 gaskets have more layers and supposedly seal better under boost conditions. I'd bet Thompson meant LS9 gaskets when he told you.

If you only have 2k miles, then you don't need anything else other than mybe new valve seals, switch the springs over, new gaskets, and anti-freeze. I always like to change oil/filter after a head swap too.

Quick Reply: head swap