Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Header Collectors replacement??? Do V-Bands work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Collectors replacement??? Do V-Bands work?

I have a leaky collector that is driving me nuts. I don't care for the Bassani collectors so I am thinking about replacing them with a set of 2.5" v-bands. I have seen a few people do the same but haven't heard if they hold up to the test of time. Any input would be great.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had mine on for about 6 months and they are doing great... Soooo much easier to get on and off... I like to put a very thin coating of High temp RTV on both sides of the mating flanges, then put on the V-band and it works great!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

v-bands or stack breakers work great
Old 12-03-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Wrap a couple layers of aluminum foil over the joint. Then crank down a stepped band clamp over it. I learned this trick from a member here and it works! Much cheaper and easier than V bands too. Mind you, the joint I did it on wasn't a snug fit either so it does seal up nicely.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Wrap a couple layers of aluminum foil over the joint. Then crank down a stepped band clamp over it. I learned this trick from a member here and it works! Much cheaper and easier than V bands too. Mind you, the joint I did it on wasn't a snug fit either so it does seal up nicely.
That may be a good trick for right now to keep it sealed for now. I just hate trying to get a wrench on the crappy flanges that come with the headers so I think replacement is inevitable.

How much are they typically and where's a good place to buy them. They are pricey at Summit and the ebay finds look a little questionable.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by blue2003ls
That may be a good trick for right now to keep it sealed for now. I just hate trying to get a wrench on the crappy flanges that come with the headers so I think replacement is inevitable.

How much are they typically and where's a good place to buy them. They are pricey at Summit and the ebay finds look a little questionable.

This is where I got mine...
http://store.racing-solutions.org/vbands.html

I have also had good luck doubling up the 3-Bolt flanges to make them twice as thick. I just run a bead around the pipe inside and out, then weld another flange on top of that... But I love my V-bands!!
Old 12-03-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by blue2003ls

Torctite 3" stepped band clamp. They work awesome. They are about $12 each and you can get them off ebay. I just order 2 more off ebay because my local NAPA only had 1 and wanted $8 a piece to ship them in from Chicago.