Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

header gasket question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header gasket question

Ok so i have all the bolts loosened up and still just working on a few i need to break loose where the stock manifolds and Y connect at the flange right before the front cats.....those 3 bolts are a pain in the ***!!! But my LT's will be here in the next hour or so i expect and im unsure on ONE thing. I bought new GM factory gaskets to use but when i put them on the LT's and a bolt through to then mount them up and tighten down should i use any gasket sealer? or is that not needed? I just plan on puttin the new GM gaskets on the LT's then a bolt through the front and back of the LT and then mounting them and tightening down without any gasket sealer BUT if i should use gasket sealer someone tell me
Old 06-22-2009, 10:55 AM
something else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would see no need for a sealer on the flange.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't use any
Old 06-22-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok. Im pissed now i can't get any grip on those 3 bolts on the passenger side in front of the cat where the manifold and Y connect at the flange. Im about to just cut the Y in that part right behind the front cat behind the 2nd O2 sensor then just drop that whole section attached to the manifold
Old 06-22-2009, 11:20 AM
something else

Hacksaw that thing off then have a
Old 06-22-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

looks like i should have enough room to drop down the stock manifolds with that little piece of Y and the cats.......so im going to just hack it! of course my buddy has my sawzall, he gets off work at 3pm though so ill have to wait or ill just use the little dremel i have and just eat up some blades LOL
Old 06-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Teching In

after 3 hours of cussing busting knuckles and stripping and cutting bolts off the sawsall immediately became my friend

especially if you have an ORY pipe then dont worry about stuff your not gonna re-use! if i would have just cut it initially it would have saved me about 4 hrs and i coulda got the whole thing done in about 2hrs

...I say HACK IT!!!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Hack that SOB! That is what I had to do on my driver's side. I messed with it for a good couple of hours and PB Blasted the **** out it and it still would not move. I said screw it and shoped it off right beofre the cat. Then it came out.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:57 PM
12 Second Truck Club

i cut my y pipe right below both cats, loosened the manifolds, and pulled all out at the same time, F*CK tryin to get to those bolts, plus im impatient as hell!!!....Lord grant me patients, but hurry up!!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

i broke the swivel i was using when i was trying to pull my y pipe off. because i didnt want to cut my stock y pipe. i unbolted the manifold, put a jack under the y and pushed the 3 bolt flange up above the frame rail, i had to take out a few of the clips that hold in the fender skirt and fold the fender skirt out of the way, but i got a boxed end wrench on it and doubled it up for some leverage and it worked.

Quick Reply: header gasket question