Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Header help

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
Lol actually when I responded I thought you were the original poster..no hard feelings at all really. I just don't wanna see someone go through more money and work than they need to. I've gotta pull my passenger side off to get the rear most bolt out too. It leaks something terrible. Plus I need to drill and weld an o2 bung on that header.

I live off of 291 in lees summit btw
lol no worries. i just suggested the pacesetters cuz on mine they fit perfect, which seems like the number 1 issue i have seen reading through these header threads. ya one bolt was broke off already, then i snapped a bolt off tightening them up. but for the price, the pacesetters wont hurt the wallet, sound good (with flowmaster "40" series anyways), and fit perfect. like u said though unless the stainless ones are purchased then u have the rust factor.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

One of mine was broke off inside the head (previous owner never removed the manifolds so not sure how it broke) and one was broke off with a little sticking out of the head. I got that one out but need to find a right angle drill to get the other out of the head. Not sure how that's gonna work..
Old 08-01-2013, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1 7/8s Pacesetters.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
One of mine was broke off inside the head (previous owner never removed the manifolds so not sure how it broke) and one was broke off with a little sticking out of the head. I got that one out but need to find a right angle drill to get the other out of the head. Not sure how that's gonna work..
thats exactly how mine was. let me guess, rear most bolt on each side?
Old 08-09-2013, 01:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not get the 1 7/8 over the 1 3/4 when they are the same price?.. im going to get some longtubes real soon and trying to make a good buy.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While I agree Pacesetter will eventually rust, but you doom and gloom folks trying to claim you'll have rust holes in 2 to 4 years are being ridiculous. I lived in central Iowa back the old days and they salted the crap out of the roads. From personal experience, uncoated steel headers would easily last 10 years before you started getting pinholes.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by batboy
While I agree Pacesetter will eventually rust, but you doom and gloom folks trying to claim you'll have rust holes in 2 to 4 years are being ridiculous. I lived in central Iowa back the old days and they salted the crap out of the roads. From personal experience, uncoated steel headers would easily last 10 years before you started getting pinholes.
thats the point i was trying to get across oh, off topic but u were def right, Area47 hooked it up! my truck runs HELLA good!
Old 08-10-2013, 05:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

see post 12
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...2500-a-520418/

this is on a 2500 truck, so on yours the fitment might be better. I would not recommend 1-7/8" primaries for a 4x4 truck.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marineusmc4
thats exactly how mine was. let me guess, rear most bolt on each side?
Yup. The driver side rear bolt on mine was somehow cross threaded all the way in. The front one was the one that broke outside of the head and I got it out easily. The rear driver side is still stuck in the head. Need to pull the header for that one

Originally Posted by batboy
10 years? I highly doubt that claim. I saw a set of coated pacesetters rust through the coating and start to take out the metal itself in less than 2 years. 5 and they would have been completely done. I had a set of coated hedman headers several years ago that had a better coating than pacesetter offered. In one winter the collectors had lost all their coating and was down to bare metal.

I'm just saying for a touch more money you can have headers that will not have this problem, ever. They fit good and offer no downsides other than slightly higher cost. They are actually cheaper if you count needing to recoat/replace the pacesetters at any given point in time because of rust.