Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Header install .. now misfire codes are thrown

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmmmmmmm, maybe forget the dumps?
Old 11-09-2003, 12:39 PM
TECH Veteran

I dunno if this will apply or not but...

When I put Hooker LT's on my F-150 I drove it about 10-12 miles to the exhuast place. It started up in open loop and was okay for a while. The more I drove the worse it began to run and my CEL came on too. My O2 sensor is located about 4-6" from the end of the collector.

I suppose the extra outside air blowing around confused the hell out of the computer.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe that's what it is then .. It is running open headers. I changed the plugs out and bank2 was BLACK, not kinda black, but damn BLACK .. like coffee or something. The other side was almost as bad, but the electrode part was OK.

If I hook up EFILive and watch the STFT's, they just stadily keep going over until they hit 20% where the gauge stops. From the smell and the carbon build up down there already I can tell it is running super damn rich. As long as I stay on the throttle it's ok, but when I cruise or let it idle, that's when the STFT's start going way high.

I through some codes today on the way to the parts store and back. Multiple misfire code 3 times, bank2 lean twice, o2 low voltage for both sides twice, and a couple others.

I'm gonna hope like hell this gets fixed when I get the exhaust hooked up. On the old truck, it ran like a champ open header. The only difference is that I had the headers coated now.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine ran bad too with open headers, but when I put the reducers on which are about 6 inches long, it ran perfect. Also I had trouble with that EXACT same bolt, but I managed to get it all the way in.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:31 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am seeing a trend here, i also completely cross threaed the exact same bolt and forced it in on my last truck. thats amazing how we all have the exact same problem.

i was able to get my tranny drain plug out without striping it on this truck.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

The way that I understand it, is that there is reversion happening after the exhaust pulses. That brings in outside air with around 20% oxygen. The O2 sensors see that and add fuel like crazy. Those plugs musta been trying hard to fire through all that fuel going in the chambers.
Old 11-09-2003, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like this bolt is a major PITA! I think mine was bad to start with though cause it was really difficult coming out.

I was able to get it in just enough to put pressure on the flange .. but not much past that.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

I forgot to mention something else I did when I was doing the headers. I was pulling the dipstic,k tube out of the block with the dipstick still in place. WHen I did, it didn't come out straight and hit the starter and got wedged between the starter and the positive stud on the starter. I had sparks up to the header. I will try and get some pics tonite of the tip of the dipstick that came off and the plugs as well as the hedaers in the truck.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:03 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have done stuff like that before too, now i follow the directions when it says "disconect the batery"
Old 11-09-2003, 05:25 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, the starter terminals can make for some interesting fireworks when the battery is connected. I know ALL about that.

Didn't have any problems with the header bolts on my truck though. Here is some interesting info though. On my dad's '99 6.0L BOTH back header bolts are broken off. There aren't any leaks but the heads of the bolts are gone. Anybody else seen this before? We couldn't figure out why just those two bolts broke except for maybe they were crossthreaded and snapped from the factory.

Quick Reply: Header install .. now misfire codes are thrown