Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Header install .. now misfire codes are thrown

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is they were cross threaded. I figured for sure I was gonna break it off, but luckily I didn't.

parish, That's a good idea .. I think I'll try it next time!
Old 11-10-2003, 12:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BOTH of the front header bolts on my 6.0 are broken off...I have no idea when or where it happened but since I have no leaks I am not too worried about it until I swap out the heads
Old 11-10-2003, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Got the headers welded up, all seems good now. I need to get a 2nd set of plugs though cause I'm still getting some misfires from the plugs being fouled I would imagine.

I check the STFT's and they are staying relatviely close to 0 +/- 3 or so. I reset the fuel trims too, so I need to drive around a bit so it can relearn everything. After I get the plugs, I'll be able to tell if I got any better performance out of them.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's what the plugs looked like.

Here's all 8 of them. The ones with the sleeve on them are from bank1, bank2 was the one throwing misfire codes and lean codes.

I can't find the dipstick end .. but when I do, I'll take some pics of the fried dipstick tip.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flyer
wtf ... ?

I ran it some, enough to heat up the gaskets and water, for a little while. I was also enjoying the open header sound for a little bit, take off to drive and now it's missing like a SOB!

Any ideas ?

I haven't checked the wires yet, it seems like it's mostly bank2 being 2, 4, and 6 mainly with an occasional 8. The other side isn't worth mentioning.
It may not be related,and or a dumb question, but did you get simms?
Old 11-10-2003, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

You put sims behind the cats. They won't do anything for how the engine runs really, they just trick the PCM into thinking that the cats are there and are working properly. There is no tuning done off the rear o2's.

To answer your question, no I don't have sims, and I don't need them yet. I still have the cats in tact.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

what bolts did you put in first? i dont recall having any troubles and if i did it was with one towards the front. I always put the front one and the backone in a little. and i cut the header gasket at the front and back bolt holes. this way you can just slip it between the head and header. you dont have to sit there and fumble with holding the gasket and trying to support the header. this is a thought if you have never done it that way and also eliminates taking the header completly off to replace the gasket.

one thing i did notice this last weekend when i had the truck on th lift is that there are signs that the pass header has hit the frame. this could be were my knock is comming from. it may not hit any more not sure. it was probably bad when i had it idled at 850 cause it shook so much. it idles a lot smoother now at 1000
Old 11-10-2003, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

I bought some fel-pro gaskets to use. They already came notched like what you were tlakin about. I just skipped them on like you said and worked my my way in from there. I couldn't get the back, drivers side to go on straight. I think it was like that when I started, I just made it worse or something. I dunno wtf was going on with it.

Reason I bought Fel-Pro gaskets to go on is that when I took them off my old truck I could see where the stock ones had been leaking ever so slightly, which may have helped with the o2 heater codes I was getting.