Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Header leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header leak

Hello all, I have a 6.0 Escalade with long tube headers and recently sprung an annoying exhaust leak that I have determined to be coming from the header at the the head. I have had no real issues since i have owned the truck for about 4 years. Is this normal for the gasket to fail or are my headers warped? What do you guys recommend for me to fix this? Is there any special gasket recommended for headers that I should buy?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:11 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What headers you have ? Also did you reuse you MLS oem gaskets or the ones that is supplied with the headers ? Have you checked to make sure a bolt didn't break ?
Old 07-15-2013, 10:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably just a gasket failure. More likely the header flange would warped before the head surface. That said, new gaskets and cleaning the surfaces will probably fix the problem. The best sealing gaskets are the GM MLS gaskets like you can buy from Texas Speed or the dealership if you don't mind paying extra. Torque the bolts to 18 ft/lbs working progressively from the middle out to the ends. I usually torque first to 15 ft/lbs and then do a final sequence of 18 ft/lbs. Be careful not to get the bolts cross threaded when you start them. The aluminum threads in the heads are real easy to damage.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by batboy
Probably just a gasket failure. More likely the header flange would warped before the head surface. That said, new gaskets and cleaning the surfaces will probably fix the problem. The best sealing gaskets are the GM MLS gaskets like you can buy from Texas Speed or the dealership if you don't mind paying extra. Torque the bolts to 18 ft/lbs working progressively from the middle out to the ends. I usually torque first to 15 ft/lbs and then do a final sequence of 18 ft/lbs. Be careful not to get the bolts cross threaded when you start them. The aluminum threads in the heads are real easy to damage.
Thank you , this is great info!! I have also read you should replace the bolts, is this something I should do? I'm guessing this is another dealer oem thing?
Old 07-15-2013, 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

I reuse the bolts, just make sure they are clean and rust free.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by batboy
I reuse the bolts, just make sure they are clean and rust free.
Ok good. How about a sealant ? I assume no?
Old 07-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

no sealant, if the flange is true then just use an OEM gasket torque to spec and you should be gtg!
Old 07-16-2013, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

No sealant needed with GM MLS gaskets.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Cool thanks again! I'm attempting this right now. Took the old one off and I noticed the performance shop that installed the headers originally put silicone on both sides of the gasket. I have no idea how I am going to get a torque wrench to fit anywhere near these bolts.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

With the right combination of extensions, I've had no problem using a torque wrench on the header bolts for both my GTO and my Tahoe.

Quick Reply: Header leak