Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

header q

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header q

Being in california has its weak points and the major one for me is the good ol smog laws. I have been wanting to get a set of headers for my truck for a while now, and i drool over all the pics of the beautiful lt installs on here, and I know they provide the best gains. But I just dont want the hassle of having to switch back and forth for smog. I know shorty's dont really do too much, but anything is better than stock, and most of them are carb legal. After much reading I learned about mid length headers (bassani's in particular) and come to find out they are in fact smog legal. So my question is what kind of gains are there to be had with mid lengths vs. shorty's, i dont mean what costs less, or is more value, i mean what the actual header does. Does a mid length outperform a shorty by a mile or does the little bit longer primary's on the mid length actually make no difference?
Old 05-04-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think that the mid's like the ASM's give great gains while still being able to retain the stock location of the cats.
I believe Bill (trever1t) is running them with great success in Cali!
many people run the mid's and love the performance gains
someone correct me if im wrong
Old 05-04-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

never heard of asm what does it stand for? do they have a carb eo#?
Old 05-04-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

arizona speed and marine
great quality, but pricey around 800$ new I think
Old 05-04-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

i searched for them but had no luck finding headers...
I was on the phone with bassani today and they said they only have a few headers for the 5.3's left and the price for the coated ones was $637+shipping. I guess i was just wanting to make sure a set bassani's was worth the extra 300 bucks over a set of shorty's. I almost ordered a set today, but i wanted to post up here to see what you guys would say.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

anyone else?
Old 05-04-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doesnt lpp make shortys for 250$
Old 05-05-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

yes they do but im trying to get an opinion from the guys on here if whether or not the mid lengths provide a gain over shorty's. i know that the shortys would be cheaper, but i would like to get the best results i can from a smog legal header. if the midlengths have no significant gain over shorty's ill probably just get a set of lpp's shorty's i saw some in the classifieds but i think they are spoken for.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok here is my honest opinion. Shortys won't give you ****. I railed a guy that had gibson shortys and a diablo tuner when i only had a tune and 3 inch flowmaster. It WILL sound different and may slightly change throttle feel but gains are either minimal or none. Full length headers and exhaust were a big difference for me. It's kinda a crap shoot that it's cheaper to buy pacesetter or obx long tubes than it is to buy the mid lengths, but the mids Will give you some noticeable power just not as much as long tubes. Bassani stuff does sound badass though. Another thought, you can buy a wet kit from Harris for under 400 bucks and get a dyno tune for 200 and REALLY feel some power but I have a biased opinion.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:47 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a set of JBA's for sale in the classified section at a damn good price. The ASM's aren't CARB legal as far as I know. If you dont want the hassle then the Bassani's sound pretty good.

Quick Reply: header q