Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Header Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Question

Yes I am a noob and I did look around for an answer to what may seem like a simple question for some but I wanted to see what you guys thoughts were to my particular situation.

So here it goes: My build will be 100% budget based with highway fuel economy a must and a little more power when needed. All I'm shooting for is a Volant CAI, Dynomax VT cat-back, long tubes, a tune once that's all in, and 2/4 drop. (2013 GMC Sierra Crew w/ 5.3)

Sounds pretty simple but the headers have me questioning if they're worth the money and the effort. If I did go the long tube route, it would either be OBX or LPP due to how inexpensive they are. So if I did want to keep it somewhat street legal, how to I implement the high flow cats? Or should I go with shorty headers? Will I have any issues with a check engine light? That's really my biggest question....I don't want to hastle with having to find someone to hook me up with an inspection sticker or worrying about a cop pulling me over and checking for cats. Been there, done that, and don't feel like dealing with it again.

So I appreciate any suggestions. I am new to the site and so far you guys have been great. Thank you....
Old 06-25-2013, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

go with shortys and a tune forbudget and mileage. my 2012 had 3 converters on it. i lost the third one and went with kooks longtubes with catted y pipe.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by craigsix
go with shortys and a tune forbudget and mileage. my 2012 had 3 converters on it. i lost the third one and went with kooks longtubes with catted y pipe.
I'd much rather go with long tubes if possible and you sound like you answered what I needed to know. Can you give me more info on the catted y pipe? Brand, cost, are there any modifications to the o2 sensors like extensions or anything like that?
Old 06-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

You might be able to buy a cat less y pipe and then have your cats welded in. That's what I'm planning on doing.

I also have three cats. I might gut the first two and leave the third functional. Lots of options. Email the maker of the headers you are considering and see if there is any room to fit them in
Old 06-26-2013, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by ForkHorn
You might be able to buy a cat less y pipe and then have your cats welded in. That's what I'm planning on doing.

I also have three cats. I might gut the first two and leave the third functional. Lots of options. Email the maker of the headers you are considering and see if there is any room to fit them in
Yeah I was thinking about that. Not sure how difficult that would be. I was looking at the OBX setup and I think I could fit in some cats where they have the resonators at. If I can find the right size it would match right up.