Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Header Tick

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Tick

Hi all,

I installed a set of the ebay long tube headers this weekend after talking to rel3rd (Thanks again!), and have developed an annoying ticking noise.

On the very first start it was very noticible even at idle, and once warmed up it went away, but on the drive home any time I accelerated above 2000rpm it returned.

I'm going to try and retighten all bolts, but I'm just wondering if ticking is normal on these engines with headers due to the thinner material on headers, or if they should be silent meaning I likely have a leak.

Just wondering what everyones experiences have been before I go crazy torquing all bolts.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

have you checked frame/steering knuckle clearance? i'll bet the headers are making contact when the engine is under load.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

its normal
Old 05-22-2010, 09:15 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm, no tick here man. But evry body's combo can be a bit different??
Old 05-22-2010, 09:23 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
its normal
Did you even read the whole first post? He said it went away as the truck heated up. That's not just the normal noise you hear from headers.

I'd say it sounds like there's a leak somewhere.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Headers clear the steering knuckle, and do rest on passenger side frame but I get a different noise from that at certain RPM's but it is very easy to pinpoint that as the cause of the other noise I hear.

I just went out and rechecked the actual bolts where the headers meet the head and most were so tight that I didnt go any further, while only a couple were slightly loose but I only got at best a quarter ratchet turn on them.

I'll check the collector bolts when I get it back on the lift, as I did have a bad time with those to begin with but I thought I'd gotten them. Its just hard to figure out exactly where the noise is coming from.

I just took the truck for another spin and again on startup is was noticibly worse, but even at temperature I got the ticking above 1500-2000RPM. Oddly enough when I revved it in neutral it wasnt as noticeable.

Edit: Also, I put brand new OEM gaskets on, and got new bolts but they are the same as the stockers were. I also did new plugs and wires while in there if that makes any difference.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Junkie

+2 on a leak somewhere. If not a leak, then you have some header to frame contact somewhere. Look everything over CLOSELY
Old 05-22-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok, if you revved it in neutral and it's not as bad it's because the exhaust doesn't have as much of a load behind it. You've definatly got an exhaust leak. Keep looking
Old 05-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Ok thanks for the help. I'm for sure checking those collectors when I get a minute, as I really doubt its the actual header into the engine because the fit there looked pretty good, but if I have to I'll take a real close look. This is my first header install so I wasnt sure if it was possibly normal, but I didnt think it could be haha.

Are there any bad effects of my driving with a leak for a few days before I get it up on the lift, other than annoying me?
Old 05-22-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

**** gas mileage, possibly a fouled o2, and a plugged cat (if you ordered them with cats)

Quick Reply: Header Tick