Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Header Wrap...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Wrap...?

I tried searching for some info but maybe i typed something in wrong??
Anyways i know header wrap is used on FI setups to help keep temps down and spool faster, question is would it help at all with some wraped up longtubes N/A? I kinda like the look of wraped up headers and you could get the black coated longtubes cheaper than ceramic... Just something ive been wondering about

Thanks
Old 01-22-2010, 01:38 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Header wrap can help keep underhood temps down, and keep heat in the exhaust which will help O2 sensor operation, but the wrap is also good at trapping moisture and the like and helping headers to rust pre-maturely. If the O2 sensors are operating properly and you're not having any underhood temp issues (a member recently posted about heat having no-where to go under his hood since he was lowered and very close to the ground), I wouldn't recommend the header wrap, just my .02
Old 01-22-2010, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

hmmm.... never thought about that im not RGV low but im pretty low. lol
I guess a cowl hood would help that problem also though,
Old 01-22-2010, 01:57 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Yea, I didn't even look at your sig pic...you are darn low lol! Real nice truck BTW!

I'd go for the ceramic headers myself...by the time you're done buying the header wrap (unless you already have it), you'll probably spend more I'd think
Old 01-22-2010, 05:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Go with ceramic coated and/or stainless headers. The black painted headers will be mild steel and I've not had luck with them lasting more than 6 years before they started rusting through. I'd suspect if you wrapped mild steel headers you would just accelerate the process.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wrapped mine casue I was too dumb to buy coated headers to begin with. I had IAT probs and thats why I grew concerned. It will def accelerate corrosion, and as a result I only wrapped the first 12" or so. I also was worried that if they were wet and froze it cud cause cracking. As for underhood temps, I'm in process of doing custom heat extractors on my hood that I bot from Mecham...I got a full thread on here somewhere with pix. R/
Old 01-22-2010, 12:31 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by dhpro
I wrapped mine casue I was too dumb to buy coated headers to begin with. I had IAT probs and thats why I grew concerned. It will def accelerate corrosion, and as a result I only wrapped the first 12" or so. I also was worried that if they were wet and froze it cud cause cracking. As for underhood temps, I'm in process of doing custom heat extractors on my hood that I bot from Mecham...I got a full thread on here somewhere with pix. R/
I believe that your thread was in the General section IIRC
Old 01-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a set of pacesetters and send them off to be coated inside and out.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Get a set of pacesetters and send them off to be coated inside and out.
What he said....then instead of wrapping the headers, wrap everything else in the engine-bay that is close to the headers.
That's what we did and seems to be working out great....

Quick
Old 01-22-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

when i did industrial insulation work, there was a paint we applied to boilers, steam pipes, etc., called mascoat, its a ceramic, thought about doing a set of headers with it, before those boilers would melt your skin off, after, u could rest your hand on it comfortably

Quick Reply: Header Wrap...?