Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Header wrap

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay, I guess i'm going to give it a go and see.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigDaddy0381
okay, Thanks. if I bought a new set of headers and warped them. I wounder what the life of them would be? 2 years 5 maybe? I'm still 50/50 on doing this.
You can see as little as a few months to as long as a few years depending on the tubing grade and thickness. As long as you run decent warmup cycles you can extend the life of the tubing significantly- the problem with wrapping is you will absorb moisture and this moisture does a number on the metal if you don't evaporate it with heat. Just warming it up and not getting the moisture out (like short trips to the store) will advance the corrosive process.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
You can see as little as a few months to as long as a few years depending on the tubing grade and thickness. As long as you run decent warmup cycles you can extend the life of the tubing significantly- the problem with wrapping is you will absorb moisture and this moisture does a number on the metal if you don't evaporate it with heat. Just warming it up and not getting the moisture out (like short trips to the store) will advance the corrosive process.
^^This^^. Wrapping headers will destroy them prematurely....especially painted headers. Best thing I've seen to reduce under-hood temps is the ceramic coatings from Jet Hot, etc.

The machine shop I use installed a dyno a few years ago. He told me that one of the biggest differences he noticed inside the dyno room was when they started using ceramic coated headers during sessions. Said the temperature in the room was dramatically lower than it was before when they used painted headers.