Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Headers, cats and y pipe for 08 gmc sierra

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers, cats and y pipe for 08 gmc sierra

I have a 5.3l 08 GMC Sierra. I am going to be putting a supercharger on the engine soon so I thought that while the blower was being installed that I would also upgrade to a set of long tube headers so when the truck was tuned for the blower it could be tuned for new headers at the same time. So I asked the performance shop to send me an estimate of what it would cost to install a set of long tubes for me.

The estimate they sent me was for a set of JBA Stainless Steel Longtube Headers with Y-Pipe and High Flow Catalytic Converters. The price tag was 1430 for the parts and 400 to install. This seems expensive to me but I really don't know. Is there a cheaper route? Let me know what you think.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you want cats, you can get the dynatech's, and install them yourself or have the shop do them.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

here ya go, 6 liter though, 5.3 just about the same.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=409434

Last edited by Allgonoshow; 08-19-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is is possible to go without cats? I figured it my truck wouldn't pass inspection without them. I know you can put on dummy cats for the visual inspection but that seems kinda lame to me. If you go with a true dual application do you still use a y pipe assembly?
Old 08-20-2008, 02:56 AM
Launching!

true duals dont use y pipes. an x or h balance pipe is needed.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rockerjoe2008
Is is possible to go without cats? I figured it my truck wouldn't pass inspection without them. I know you can put on dummy cats for the visual inspection but that seems kinda lame to me. If you go with a true dual application do you still use a y pipe assembly?

you can buy dynatechs without cats, your truck without cats will be VERY loud with these
headers and custom exhaust. Mine is loud with cats and sounds like crap when dod kicks in.
IMHO custom full duals would be expensive, you are better off
with headers/cats and a direct fit cat back.
if you don't want cats and are 2wd, pacesetters are cheaper and they have a y-pipe available as well without cats.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I really like loud trucks so catless would be right up my alley. I already have a flowmaster super 44 SIDO catbak setup. I agree that it sounds like crap when DOD kicks in. I've used my hand held tuner to turn it off but gas mileage goes down. So most of the time I leave it on.

The reason I was thinking of going true dual was to free up the airflow for the supercharger. I figured my truck would make more power with headers and true dual than with headers and single muffler. If I'm wrong let me know because if what I have will work than I don't want to waste my money.

Any thoughts on passing inspection with out cats? I read in a truck magizine that removing the cats only gains your around 3 hp. So it may not even be worth it.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had lt's, stock cats and magnaflow single 3" catback on my o4 5.3 with a radix.
made 8lbs boost and ran perfect. Headers and catback probably helped power but if you
are going FI, headers are not likly necessary, cat back would help and sounds gooder too.
depends on where you live whether you need cats or not.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rockerjoe2008
I really like loud trucks so catless would be right up my alley. I already have a flowmaster super 44 SIDO catbak setup. I agree that it sounds like crap when DOD kicks in. I've used my hand held tuner to turn it off but gas mileage goes down. So most of the time I leave it on.

The reason I was thinking of going true dual was to free up the airflow for the supercharger. I figured my truck would make more power with headers and true dual than with headers and single muffler. If I'm wrong let me know because if what I have will work than I don't want to waste my money.

Any thoughts on passing inspection with out cats? I read in a truck magizine that removing the cats only gains your around 3 hp. So it may not even be worth it.
If you like it loud, youll like not having cats. I have the pacesetter LT's with no cats, and its nice and loud. With the supercharger, removing the cats will probably help more than with a N/A setup. If your inspection is just visual, you can get some resonators that look like cats. If its a sniffer test, you might have to swap your old exhaust when it comes time for inspection.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

We just have visual inspection here so resonators look-a-likes would work. Where could I pick up some dummny cats? Just wondering if the smell of unburned fuel would be an issue. The exhaust dumps out the sides behind the real wheels. I would rather have cats than to have to deal with the smell of raw fuel all the time.

Quick Reply: Headers, cats and y pipe for 08 gmc sierra