Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Headers for the cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blitanicle99
Oh, well in GA they just hook stuff up. Never got a visual inspection on this truck, however you never know. I think Ima build something with a cat I find and just put a pipe in it for visual purposes.

Anyways, So pacesetter LTs, are great price. Shipping decent too? Also, do I need the Y pipe to go with it? Or can I hold off?

I wanna get a cut out to go along with this, been looking at different ones and reading threads about it.
The long tubes will not bolt up to the factory Y pipe and cats. You have a couple options though. Get the offroad y and put it on, bolts up to rest of stock exhaust. Have the ory modified to accept your stock cats. Have the stock y modified to work with the longtubes. Ie shortened and cats relocated. You could also save the stock manifolds and y and reinstall them IF? you had to pass a visual. PITA I know, but it's an option. Stock Y is very restrictive, You will notice a big defference when/if you get a ory just by looking at them. Stock y is flattend out where it runs under the trans where the ory is not. You could also go with the Dynatecs with cats if you want to spend that much.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dynatechs aren't cheap. I did leave out they come w/ a hi-flow Y-pipe, not that flattened that looks like GM stole it off an F-body to use on our trucks. Mine do not leak! You get what u pay for. I wanted to only buy 1 set of headers ever. I had considered AS&M too but had a bad experience finding someone to weld on another project( headers - exh on an 89C/K) and AS&M require weld'g. Do your research & take opinions to guide you, but you're spending the $, not us. We'll help w/spending when you use the power adder. Again, use your wallet as a guide but keep an eye on future goals too.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

I put on the summit shortys a few years ago. They are made by pace setters only you pay less because summit puts there name on it. If I did it again I would go LT's. I don't have emissions testing here so I can easily get by with Lt's and off road Y.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

sv650 thanks, I still had been wondering that.

Well, I think Im gonna go PaceSetter LTs and get the y pipe. I wish the shop was local so I could get out of shipping...
Old 03-24-2008, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jakebdb56
I've heard people having hell with fitting the OBX's to 4x4 trucks though. Stainless is nice, but I can guarantee you that the OBX headers aren't anywhere near the same quality as Dynatech's.
My OBX fit perfect on my 4x4. You juat have to get them adjusted right, before you tighten everything down. At first they were close to the front ds, so I pulled them over, and then tightened them down. I have more than 1/2" to anything all the way down.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Hmm found a deal on some gibsons and y pipe with the cats removed... Probably take that.
Cant beat the price...
Old 03-26-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jakebdb56
I've heard people having hell with fitting the OBX's to 4x4 trucks though. Stainless is nice, but I can guarantee you that the OBX headers aren't anywhere near the same quality as Dynatech's.
Dynatech's, AS&M, OBX... I've had all 3 in my hands and I purchased the OBX ones. They were VERY surprisingly well made!!! Good welds (good discoloring through the backside, no spatter) on OBX too, which was the most surprising thing. OBX must have had a bad batch, because I've heard of a few bad installs too (clearance issues), but some others have had no trouble what so ever. Just FYI, get the OBX kit made for the 6 liter SS or H2 if you want to do custom duals as the twin pipes go back past the trans cross member which is easier to run duals from.

The AS&M coated mild steel ones were poo compared to the other two.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

I have Doug Thorleys they are long tubes and work with the factory y pipe.Stock pipes get chopped off right at the cat collectors fit right in the cats.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but if you got Pacesetter lts and ory, do you think it's possible to pass a visual check with one cat, like a Magnaflow spun cat after the ory?
Old 07-16-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but if you got Pacesetter lts and ory, do you think it's possible to pass a visual check with one cat, like a Magnaflow spun cat after the ory?
You can here (TX) at least. If there's a big round thing anywhere after the headers they'll pass you