Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Headlight Problems....AGAIN...well, actually...STILL !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight Problems....AGAIN...well, actually...STILL !!

Some of y'all might remembers a few weeks ago I was having a problem with my headlights "flickering"...they would dim and brighten at random while driving....at the suggestion of the dealership I replaced the headlight switch because the dash was dimming as well and they felt that the only cause of both the headlights AND the cluster dimming could be a bad switch....well, it cured my problem...for about 15 minutes

DOES ANYONE have ANY idea what could be causing this ??...the ONLY items that are aftermarket in the interior of the truck are the trailer brake controller (Tekonsha Voyager) which is wired into the factory harness and the Stereo (JVC CD player)....both items have been in the truck for over 6 months and the problem started less than 2 months ago.....

ANY IDEAS ????
Old 12-30-2003, 02:25 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem here, doesn't do it when its fully warmed up though.

Never figured it out.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

have you checked your alternator?

Also, if you manually turn your headlights on does it still do it??

Maybe the problem is with the auto headlight feature or something
Old 12-30-2003, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I also think it might be alternator. Check the readings on the gauge when the lights start to dim.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:33 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 2001si3rr@
I also think it might be alternator. Check the readings on the gauge when the lights start to dim.
The voltmeter needle dips about 1/8'th inch when the lights dim also.

But the alternator could still be fine, and something is just drawing current, right??
Old 12-30-2003, 02:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2001si3rr@
Mine does the same thing. It will pull the volts down under 11 once in a while. But once truck is fully warmed up it stops. I do have a couple amps and subs but it still does it when turned on.
Anytime I have tested the alternator it tests fine. Also have a red top battery.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:36 PM
12 Second Truck Club

There are at least 2 other members on here with the same complaint. I wish we could figure it out!
Old 12-30-2003, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Black Blown 02...Mine does it whether it is warm or cold....probably worse after it warms up and the lights have been on over 15 minutes

OOsilverado...it will do it whether the lights come on automatically or I turn them on...I DID think it was something to do with the automatic headlights do I did a bunch of experimenting with that to be sure it wasn't

2001si3rr@...alternator seems fine, the guage stats at about 14 volts all the time...it NEVER moves unless I am towing a trailer that has like 10 lights on it and then it will move just a little when I hit the brakes

The frustrating part about this is I CAN'T duplicate it...sometimes IT WON'T HAPPEN for days and then it will start and not quit for like a week doing it EVERY time the lights come on

Arrrgggggg !!!!
Old 12-30-2003, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a faulty ground.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

just had the problem appear. I took it to the dealer and they didnt know what was wrong with it because by the time I got there the truck had warmed up and it had stopped. They checked the battery and alternator anyway and said that everything was fine. Well It was still happening the next morning (only cold mornings) so I bought a new alternator, no fix. Then I got a new optima battery, no fix. Went back to the dealer and said look something has to be done. They told me after my truck came in they had 2 other occurances, one of them they actually tested while it was happening, they said everything checked out. They told me they called GM and they had started to have the problems mainly up north. Right now there is no fix for it, gm told them it was the alternator regulators charictaristics and that they could change everything around the alternator and battery and it still wouldnt fix it. SO the dealer has to make a case, and now we have to wait for them to come up with a solution. It affects any 99-2003 truck/suv right now. They didnt know why it automatically started doing this now instead of 99, and 2000, 2001. They said that the engineers were working on it, and to check back every week or so until they have figured it out.

Quick Reply: Headlight Problems....AGAIN...well, actually...STILL !!