Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Heads/cam are on... got problems!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say ... put it on a lift and check everything out with a fine tooth comb again. If something's banging under there, there's proof somewhere. Can you remove your exhaust in sections? You might try that if you can.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

After looking at the logs, it's gotta be false. You are getting tons of knock at retarded times. Almost anything you do causes KR.

It looks like when you let off from cruising it registers some KR, and even bumps in the road.

Is there any ways you could add MPH to a log? Maybe then I could tell for sure it was bumps in the road.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

That is what I have noticed too. I just so happen to be looking at the screen at one point when I hit a pretty sharp bump while I was crusing steady and it instantly jumped to 8. I am going to look under there again today but I am going to use the drive on lift instead so I can see it with the suspension loaded.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Good idea ... grab the exhaust, shake it, get someone in the truck revving it hard. You will at least see how things move around if you don't find the banging parts that way.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just had something come to mind. There is a bracket that goes on the top stud on the bellhousing. One time the tranny shop left it off on my old truck and it rattled its *** off. I never noticed any KR because of it though, but it sure made a bunch of noise.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by James B.
Can the heads really handle a 40 thousandths drop? I recall reading that GM was having problems with pistons knocking the heads from just carbon build-up resulting in something sounding similar to piston slap but distinguishable by the change in characteristic with RPM increase...
I did plenty of research before deciding on how much to mill my heads. You can mill as much as .070 off a LSx based head. .040 just happend work out best by my calculations using a 7.350 pushrod. The 10.25:1 CR also sounded good, nice jump in comp but not too radical.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:02 PM
Truck addict

kenny did you get to look at it today after work? notice anything moving around with the exhaust? might not be related to anything but you don't have a broken tranny mount or engine mount by chance do you? i know stupid question but hey, it is possible!
Old 08-11-2004, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

I did look at it some more today. I welded back a broken hanger on one of my mufflers but that didnt change anything. I also took 8* out of both the HO and LO tables below .52 g/cyl. No change except for makeing it feel like a total dog now. At some points I was seeing 0* of timing with 8* KR. This really sux!!
I dont think either of those is broke John. The motor dosnt move that much when you rev it so I seriously doubt I have a broken motor mount.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:13 AM
Truck addict

could the mass air sensor cause this problem? i hope this turns out to be a simple fix for you! What would happen if you put the stock heads back on? i am at a loss too so i am just trying to throw some ideas out there for you.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Try removing the Delta knock. I don't think it comes through as KR, but it will eliminate that.

Quick Reply: Heads/cam are on... got problems!