Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Heads/cam are on... got problems!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, this sounds a lot like mine after my cam install.

I ran 918's for a day and a half on the stock cam - the motor was running like it was having a "good" day. It pulled real nice and hard - I was surprised. I don't believe I was getting KR with those springs. Not with the way it was running.

After the cam install, I have a good amount of valvetrain noise. A sewing machine sound with a almost constant light 'tap tap tap' mixed in. I'm seeing a consistant 8, 9, or 9.1* of KR at anywhere from 800 to about 1,500 rpm. Anytime I touch the gas a fair amount, I go into KR. I pulled timing in the same range as BK, and I still get it.

It's hard for me to find any race gas around here.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

BK... I got a "change" in KR this morning.

I had my valvecovers off last night to make sure everything at least LOOKED okay.

This time around, I actually torqued down my valvecovers to 9 ft/lbs. My KR down low is still there, but it's vastly reduced down to about 1-2*max and it's actually harder to trip KR there.

Now all of my KR is up high, and I'm still getting the consistant 8 or 9.1 degrees at peak KR.

I hear NO clatter from the motor.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:46 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Flyer
Try removing the Delta knock. I don't think it comes through as KR, but it will eliminate that.
Flyer, what is delta knock?
Old 08-13-2004, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its what the computer anticipates knock to be. It's right next to the KR tables.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

It that also known as burst knock?

I've got my values tripled (I believe) and I don't have any change in KR.

In HPT it says if the values in that table are exceeded,the computer will remove the amount of timing specified in the Burst KR vs RPM table. Part of the problem is that the Burst KR vs RPM table is greyed out in my verson/platform so I can't completely rule out the fact that it might be BKR.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cant running to rich also cause knock, I mean you havent adjusted for your injectors and Timing? Maybe try to get allan @futral to tune it for you. I went from the stock tune and cam running 20-22 degrees of timing with 1.5-2.5 degrees of knock to running around 28-29 degrees of timing with 0 knock full throttle with a futral motorsports mail order tune. I could never even run the hypertech tuning on 87 or 93 octane without noticible detonation (by ear). The truck wanted 93 octane from the factory or it would ping. I really think the man knows what he is doing to be able to pull off what he did with my truck.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

I heard about too much fuel causing knock, but I heard others disputing that so I'm not sure what to think...
Old 08-13-2004, 05:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Unless my O2's are shot, my fuel is about right since l-trims are only slightly negative at part throttle. I have changed my IFR for the 42# already as well.
I have also already talked to Allan on the phone and he was at a loss as well but did seem to think it was false too.
I am going out here in just a few minutes to start some more troubleshooting.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Try removing the exhaust if you can. unplug the front o2's if the headers are wide open though, that will keep it from loading up as bad.

Have you looked at your PCV valves?
Old 08-13-2004, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say you adjusted your IFR's, what about Injector offset vs voltage load like shown here:
http://z71.net/offset1.htm

I would think they would have to be changed along with the injectors.

Quick Reply: Heads/cam are on... got problems!