Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Heads/cam are on... got problems!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

I put in the 42# marine injectors with an IRF or 5.12. I have already talked to BigTex about it and he is running the stock offset table along with everyone else I know that is running these injectors.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Notice on that chart that the 2000 and 2001 specs are different, even though they are supposed to have the same injectors. What year is yours? what year is BigTex's? Even if you set the IFR's the same, unless you have the same year truck as him, then your tables here are probably different than his.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THe IFR's are all that need to be changed for bigger injectors.

I'm convinced something is banging around with his since there's a big rattle he's got. If it were programming related it would be more consistant. It wouldn't happen when the truck goes over big bumps and such.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:27 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am running the stock injector offset. I have 5.12 for my IFR as well. My truck runs fine.

That is my chart that 02reaper posted earlier in this thread. I put it together last year just to compare different injector offsets. The values differ for different years, even the flow rate is changed a bit for the same 00+ injector (3.18 on some, 3.12 on others). I do think the Marine injectors would have a different offset value, but its not different enought to make the tune way off.

I think BigKids problem is something physical rattling around. Most likely exhaust.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryan23silverado
It would be nice if the knock sensors were accurate -I have the worst year of them.
You weren't kidding about getting that full 8* knock retard right off the bat, geez. I remember when I ran the Crane 208/216 cam and 918s it registered a ton of false knock (as determined with race gas) The seat pressure for that low of a lift (.500/.500) really pulled the valves into the heads pretty hard. I think that is where most of the false knock came from.

You said it is fine running in neutral. Did you log a sweeping rev in neutral? You also said it sounds like hell when you gun it. Is the engine actually detonating? Or is it pretty indistinguishable from the part it might be hitting? Good luck man. I am really betting it is false knock as 10.25:1 is not that high. But definitely before you lower that knock limit number do the race gas test. I hope you find it soon.
Another good thread I almost missed! I'll have to reference this for my ~7* of knock I'm getting at WOT. Hopefully I'll be able to get a new tune to get my A/F ratio down from 9.43mV as registered from the predator. I'd try to get some race gas, but hell, I can't even find a sythethic oil around here that I want to run in the 6.0l.

Ryan, were you able to do anything, besides race gas, to minimize the timing being pulled from the false knock from the cam/springs?
Old 08-17-2004, 09:38 AM
TECH Veteran

I have some new information... I got under the truck and started banging around on the exhaust tring to find any rattles and such. Well I found three! The first two are my O2 sensors. They rattle like a ***** and it is not the little washer on the end either. There is something loose rattleing around inside of them so I will be getting some new o2 this week. Probablly need to be replaced anyway since the have ~100K on them. The other rattle is one of my mufflers. I believe the mesh is starting to rust out in the innards so I am going to take it back and see if I can get it replaced under warranty since it is a Magnaflow.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Cool to hear you found some suspects!

I have no leads to follow on my truck. The engine bay and undercarriage are as tight as a drum.

I even went as far as to put my stock engine covers on to make sure there were no weird harmonics getting picked up from under the hood.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BigKID
I have some new information... I got under the truck and started banging around on the exhaust tring to find any rattles and such. Well I found three! The first two are my O2 sensors. They rattle like a ***** and it is not the little washer on the end either. There is something loose rattleing around inside of them so I will be getting some new o2 this week. Probablly need to be replaced anyway since the have ~100K on them. The other rattle is one of my mufflers. I believe the mesh is starting to rust out in the innards so I am going to take it back and see if I can get it replaced under warranty since it is a Magnaflow.

Kenny,

It's Dan in Mobile. I have sensors from a 5.3 suburban with 5k on them. Let me know if you can use them. I wanna see that thing run already!
Old 08-17-2004, 10:23 PM
Truck addict

Originally Posted by way2slow
Kenny,

It's Dan in Mobile. I have sensors from a 5.3 suburban with 5k on them. Let me know if you can use them. I wanna see that thing run already!
it's running and sounds badass . Of course the valve train noise is freaking loud .
Old 08-18-2004, 01:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks Dan but I just put some new ones in it yesterday.

Putting in the new O2s did not solve my problem but I believe they will help in the long run. They did however lean my readings out quite a bit. Before the l-trims were running between -0.8 - -4.2. Now they dont get lower than -0.8 and even rise into the low positives depending on which fuel cell I am in. I did hit one WOT briefly last night and atap showed me O2 readings of .875-.880, 4*KR and 15* total timing and it felt like a complete dog. I am going to try and add some fuel to it then some timeing to see how that does.

I have also noticed an intermittant ticking the last few times I have taken it out. I have only noticed it on the interstate and it sounds like an exhaust leak (but it is not). I it pretty loud but dosnt change volume or tone with throttle but is rpm dependent. Sounds kind of like when you pull out a sparkplug and turn the motor over, the puff-puff-puff sound that is made. Any ideas what it could be. If it were something loose in the valve train, wouldn't it do it all the time and not intermittantly? I was thinking it could be an injector, maybe?

Quick Reply: Heads/cam are on... got problems!