Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Heads, New Cam, and Intake install on my 4.8

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

True true... Well at least the day is half over, Thank Goodness...

BTW the cam shipped today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2009, 11:57 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am ready to go RACIN'
Old 03-20-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Should be there by the middle of next week, enjoy! I finally got my degree wheel in the mail today, I'm going to try and beat you installing my FTI cam. We'll see who enjoys theirs more BTW Corey, are you going to replacing your timing chain set? Going to degree everything in?
Old 03-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do you need a degree wheel
Old 03-20-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Why do you need a degree wheel
To verify your valve events and make sure that everything is running perfect. You'd be silly to install a camshaft without degreeing it. There are too many variables to a valvetrain that can affect valve timing. You need to make sure everything is working hand in hand to obtain perfect valve event timing.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
To verify your valve events and make sure that everything is running perfect. You'd be silly to install a camshaft without degreeing it. There are too many variables to a valvetrain that can affect valve timing. You need to make sure everything is working hand in hand to obtain perfect valve event timing.
You better run a damn good time with all the trouble you go through with your setup
Old 03-20-2009, 01:22 PM
11 Second Truck Club

you are running an adjustable timing set right? I thought lsx motors stock are non adjustable, so degreeing the cam is only good to see if the cam is cut right, right?
Old 03-20-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If the cam is installed dot to dot and the cam was cam doctor'd, I don't see why you'd need to degree it.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Should be there by the middle of next week, enjoy! I finally got my degree wheel in the mail today, I'm going to try and beat you installing my FTI cam. We'll see who enjoys theirs more BTW Corey, are you going to replacing your timing chain set? Going to degree everything in?
I am about 99% sure i will be replacing the chain, and getting a degree wheel, i have always wanted to learn how to use one! And my cam being 108 LSA might be tempermental to say the least...
Old 03-20-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fastrt
you are running an adjustable timing set right? I thought lsx motors stock are non adjustable, so degreeing the cam is only good to see if the cam is cut right, right?
I'm installing my adjustable progear setup this weekend - you are correct in that a factory timing set is non-adjustable.

Quick Reply: Heads, New Cam, and Intake install on my 4.8