Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Heads, New Cam, and Intake install on my 4.8

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Yep it is a 4.8 unfortunately

I will say this, the new heads made my verter alot looser, which is good and bad... I liked the way my verter was before not tooo loose not tooo tight, now it is a tad tooo loose.. It poped the PO757 code yesterday, which sucks, i need to tune it out, but i have been lazy... My 60fts better be in the 1.8 range now
Corey, when is your new cam scheduled to arrive??? I got mine in Saturday. Haven't driven the truck yet to know how it goes If you get your cam this week, think you'll have it in and running by next weekend?
Old 03-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

My new cam should arrive on Wednesday . If i don't get tied up i am going to try and install it on Sunday!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched your vid you posted a few pages back, man the exhaust sounds alot deeper. I am looking forward to seeing this outcome at the track.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

with the higher compression, the exhaust definitely thumps more.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:38 AM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by sharky05
I watched your vid you posted a few pages back, man the exhaust sounds alot deeper. I am looking forward to seeing this outcome at the track.
Hopefully hitting the track tomorrow!
Old 03-24-2009, 11:06 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I forgot that you were doing this in stages, heads-test-cam-test-etc. It'll be cool to see how the mods affect your numbers
Old 03-24-2009, 11:26 AM
TVI
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
with the higher compression, the exhaust definitely thumps more.
I agree, sounds good. Very interested in seeing how the new FTI cam does.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will tell you that my FTI rebel TQXL increased my exhaust volume and low end tone by about 30% LoL. I still haven't driven the truck after the cam swap. It's still hibernating in the garage for the salt and sand to get off the roads. My truck never droned a bit with any of my previous setups, my new FTI cam totally changed everything. The truck has a mind numbing low end growl. It sounds like a big block marine engine if you've ever heard one run. Where they run the exhaust under the water. No cackle, just loud and low sound frequency. I like it You'll definatly draw attention wherever you go. There's no mistaken that it's something you don't want to "F" with.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I forgot that you were doing this in stages, heads-test-cam-test-etc. It'll be cool to see how the mods affect your numbers
Yep, the MAIN reason i decided to do it this way is to see how the parts affected my tune.

For example, my current cam dropped the lower areas of my VE table by about 60%(400rpm)-40%(800rpm)-20%(1200rpm).

Then when i added the heads, it increased the same rows by about 10-20%, strang huh?

Now i am curious to see what the new cam does....

Also if i would have added all three of those parts at once, i bet i would still be trying to get it to idle ...

Originally Posted by TVI
I agree, sounds good. Very interested in seeing how the new FTI cam does.
Me too

Originally Posted by hirdlej
I will tell you that my FTI rebel TQXL increased my exhaust volume and low end tone by about 30% LoL. I still haven't driven the truck after the cam swap. It's still hibernating in the garage for the salt and sand to get off the roads. My truck never droned a bit with any of my previous setups, my new FTI cam totally changed everything. The truck has a mind numbing low end growl. It sounds like a big block marine engine if you've ever heard one run. Where they run the exhaust under the water. No cackle, just loud and low sound frequency. I like it
Interesting in a good and bad way... I don't need my truck to be any louder than it is right now...
Old 03-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Yep, the MAIN reason i decided to do it this way is to see how the parts affected my tune.

For example, my current cam dropped the lower areas of my VE table by about 60%(400rpm)-40%(800rpm)-20%(1200rpm).

Then when i added the heads, it increased the same rows by about 10-20%, strang huh?

Now i am curious to see what the new cam does....

Also if i would have added all three of those parts at once, i bet i would still be trying to get it to idle ...

Me too

Interesting in a good and bad way... I don't need my truck to be any louder than it is right now...
If its too loud, lemme know if u decide to sell your current exhaust. I love the way it sounds.

Quick Reply: Heads, New Cam, and Intake install on my 4.8