Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Heads, New Cam, and Intake install on my 4.8

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's gonna be a monster! Run it already! haha
Old 03-16-2009, 04:09 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Me tooo, i am really excited to see what it will do!

I wont need it for awhile because it is going to take several weeks to get the new cam and I want to test out my new heads on my current cam, so I will just get it from you at our next track GTG...
when are you thinking about going? friday night I want to go to ennis.
Originally Posted by hirdlej
Corey, should run awesome. I think you'll be putting a good hurting on a lot of cammed 5.3's with that setup. It's nice to be able to work with someone (Ed) who is actually an airflow engineer and provides winning grinds. Go tear it up I'll have my Ed Curtis cam installed here hopefully next weekend.
he is already putting a hurt on cammed 5.3's
Old 03-16-2009, 05:31 PM
12 Second Truck Club

im going fri the 27th
Old 03-16-2009, 06:09 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I was going to put the 27th but I was in a hurry. good then I have one more going. I want to get mine topped out on the current cam before my next cam goes in. hopefully corey can join us and beat us all!!!!
Old 03-16-2009, 06:19 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

havent seen many ed curtis cam specks but the ones i have seen always seem goofy to me. he loves the low lsa's in trucks for some reason. a buddy of mine had his cut on a 110 for his 5.3 and it acted like turd, and never performed how he wanted.

i would never purchase a cam without knowing the specks of it first. ive been proven wrong before though
Old 03-16-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

i always hold my strong opinions til i see the results... but, IMHO

a 108 LSA in your truck is going to run out of *** about 6K-6.2K rpm. should be a great torque curve, but i think its going to be a motherfonger to tune it for part throttle/idle..and probably make peak power around 5700 rpms or so.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sickREDsierra
i always hold my strong opinions til i see the results... but, IMHO

a 108 LSA in your truck is going to run out of *** about 6K-6.2K rpm. should be a great torque curve, but i think its going to be a motherfonger to tune it for part throttle/idle..and probably make peak power around 5700 rpms or so.
From what i have read and seen on my previous two cams, the overlap determines where the HP curve runs out... This cam has +1* of overlap... My current cam has -1* and ran out at 6200, my 220 cam had -8* and it ran out at 5600. So that should help put this cam into perspective... The overlap determines how the cam will act in the upper RPM ranges, so this cam should be more effiecient in the uppper RPM than my current cam. My MPH should either prove me right our wrong....

Also the LOW lsa and ICL help with the TQ curve and MAX TQ... Making it really tight should allow for more TQ and start the TQ sooner... The large lift should broaden the TQ curve... So it should come off the line alot better, this will either be proven right or wrong with my 60ft.

Also overlap determines the idle quality, so this cam should idle roughly like my current cam, which behaves fine, actually the lower duration should actually help with the idle tuning since it will not be struggling so much at lower RPMS... Just looking at my VE table between my -1* and -8* overlap cams is night and day.. The -1* cam drop off big time in the lower RPMS...

My criteria i sent to Ed was i wanted more midrange and upper RPM... This is what he designed...

That is my .02, but the track times will tell if i am right or wrong... Which i will give my honest opinion about the outcome....
Old 03-16-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

you have definately done your homework here C-note.

i wish you the best, like i said before. hopefully by the end of this i will have learned something... and i can go back and re-read all the good info

if not, i am gonna call you an internet racer. LMAO just kidding man.

good luck with it. best of wishes.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sickREDsierra
you have definately done your homework here C-note.

i wish you the best, like i said before. hopefully by the end of this i will have learned something... and i can go back and re-read all the good info

if not, i am gonna call you an internet racer. LMAO just kidding man.

good luck with it. best of wishes.
I am learning too, it is just costing me some money... this will be my third cam swap, more than most on this board, and I am not scared to do a fourth or fifth ... I just wanted to do something different than the typical TR220 or TR224...
Old 03-16-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

i agree. get outside the box. i am running a custom grind now myself, have been since this new motor went in. i am curious to try others, just financially exhausted.

how quick have you gotten the swap down to?

Quick Reply: Heads, New Cam, and Intake install on my 4.8