Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Headwork ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 08:35 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headwork ?

I can get a used pair of 5.3 heads for $300 shipped from somebody on this site.

I'm going to get them Ported & Polished w/ a 5-angle job. If I get bigger valves with the above, thats considered stage 1 headwork, right? If it is, whats stage 2 headwork?

Also, considering my mods what would be the horsepower difference between stage 1 & 2?

Where would heads give me power in the rpms? I'm trying to get more mid & top-end.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-23-2003, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Headwork ?

Depending on who does your porting stage 1 doesn't necessarily mean you'll get larger valves. Stage 1 porting usually involves only some mild porting. Stage 2 porting will usually have 2.020 int and 1.57 or 1.60 exh valves with more extensive porting than stage 1. If you have the money, go for the stage 2, it'll really help your cam get you that desired mid and top end power(3000+RPM's). You already have the headers so, you'll be able to get the most out of all your mods.

Old 08-23-2003, 06:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Don't do bigger valves! You will decrease air velocity some (as well as shroud the combustion chamber) as they are too large for your 3.78" bore. The stock intake valve is like 1.89" right? That is plenty large. AFR-165 SBF 5.0 Mustang heads use a 1.9 intake valve and that motor has a 4" bore...

I am not too sure on if head porters gasket match the LS1 style heads or just polish the chambers up... I would also not make the ports too large as that will decrease velocity also. A simple deburring of the intake and exhaust ports, clean the valve throats up, and maybe slightly widen up the exhaust port would probably yield the best results.

Make sure not to mismatch the intake manifold runners to the intake runners on the heads. Keep them lined up, mismatched ports decrease velocity also.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:55 PM
Banned

if you go bigger valves with the cam yo have i would leave the exhaust valve stock size and get a set of stock fbody 2.00" intake valves and only go that bigger. a 2.02/1.57 valve set would be way overkill for your setup and cam. i have 2 sets of stock 2.00" intake valves i'd let ya have cheap if you went that direction. and the 5 angle valve job is a little much also..the stock valve job is pretty good on our heads, if anything just have them cleaned up with the porting and maybe a 3 angle valve job with stock LS1 size valves.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:54 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Hey Hit Man X: I'm having a local machine shop do the headwork. So I don't need new valves? That's cool, it saves me around $250. The shop said that the 5 angle valve job, Porting & Polishing would be $400 since the heads would be off the truck.

So my prices are:

$300 for used 5.3 heads
$400 P&P, 5 angle valve job
$650 Installation @ futral motorsports
= $1350 for everything

That sounds good to me because, I need my truck almost everyday & I can get a little done at a time.

What should my dyno numbers be after:

Headwork
Tuning w/ LS1 edit
ASP Crank Pulley
Electric fans
Free Mods

Sorry for the long post! TIA
Old 08-23-2003, 10:59 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Slowverado: Why would the 5 angle valve job be too much? Crap! The machine shop said that they don't do a 3 angle, just a 5 angle. What should I do?
Old 08-23-2003, 11:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Hey Hit Man X: I'm having a local machine shop do the headwork. So I don't need new valves? That's cool, it saves me around $250. The shop said that the 5 angle valve job, Porting & Polishing would be $400 since the heads would be off the truck.

So my prices are:

$300 for used 5.3 heads
$400 P&P, 5 angle valve job
$650 Installation @ futral motorsports
= $1350 for everything

That sounds good to me because, I need my truck almost everyday & I can get a little done at a time.

What should my dyno numbers be after:

Headwork
Tuning w/ LS1 edit
ASP Crank Pulley
Electric fans
Free Mods

Sorry for the long post! TIA
I wouldn't use the bigger valves, the LS1 motor use larger valves as they have a bigger bore (3.90). A 5 angle job seems a bit much, as most people go with a 3. I'd say those heads will add about another 20rwhp or so...if you got them decked a bit that would be badass. Tuning will help a ton as you have listed.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:10 PM
Banned

it wouldn't be "to much" but almost ALL of the really bad *** LS1/LS6/LQ9 heads running around on all of the really bad *** setups have a 3 angle job. it's just easier...and 5 angles is really just overkill and a waste of mone. I WOULD DEFINATLY GO WITH 2.00" INTAKE VALVES THOUGH WITH YOUR HEADS.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:19 PM
TECH Veteran

it wouldn't be "to much" but almost ALL of the really bad *** LS1/LS6/LQ9 heads running around on all of the really bad *** setups have a 3 angle job. it's just easier...and 5 angles is really just overkill and a waste of mone. I WOULD DEFINATLY GO WITH 2.00" INTAKE VALVES THOUGH WITH YOUR HEADS.
Why would you go with that large of an intake valve? Not trying to be a dick just wondering why...

If you plan to do a LS1/6.0 swap then hell ya go with the larger valves. I just don't see them warranting the extra cost for not much if any gain with that little bore, seems like overkill to me.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:41 PM
Banned

well, just swapping LS1 heads in stock form would out flow the stock form 5.3 heads...so with a cam why not go ahead and do it if you can cheap. they would add more air flow...and airflow is good when trying to make power. baciscally i guess i mean to say that they wouldn't hurt performance, and they will help it so why not do it if you can for a cheap price.

Quick Reply: Headwork ?