Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

To hell with the Ol' V6

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usarmyman
Well if I could find a motor and a wiring harnes, time, a shop to do the work in.(They don't let you do any work in the barracks parking lot lol) that would be what I would do. Plus i'm mnot sure if the factory 5-Speed would bolt up to the engine, and if it does would it handel the 5.3???

But anyway guys, with the Truck market droping over the last year sience i bought the truck, I owe a LOT more than it is worth. So the engine swap may not be a bad deal. Anypne have a 4.8/5.3 for sale in the Oklahoma/Texas area. Oh yeah, and that can tune my truck for the bigger motor.
If you would have done this earlier this summer we got a decent sized shop with damn near any tool you could need that we could have done it in...
Old 07-26-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

What is wrong with your shop now?? Full of projects? Just wondering since someday I might get a cam installed and I don't really have a great place to work here. My garage is small and full of crap. Plus I am hoping to get some help from you guys that have done it before and have the specialty tools that are needed. Obviously I'm not in much of a hurry or I would have it done by now.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

I am thinking the tranny might be a small problem. I know there are 4.8L's that came with a 5 speed and I would guess that it is the same tranny that you have, but I am thinking the bell housing might be different. Not sure though.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah its prolly got a 6.0 and 4l80e in the way...
Old 07-26-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by truckmann

What is wrong with your shop now?? Full of projects? Just wondering since someday I might get a cam installed and I don't really have a great place to work here. My garage is small and full of crap. Plus I am hoping to get some help from you guys that have done it before and have the specialty tools that are needed. Obviously I'm not in much of a hurry or I would have it done by now.
It is freaking full! It is a huge three bay shop with two of them having in-ground hydraulic lifts. One bay houses our travel trailer and miscellaneous wheels and tires. The middle bay has the mustang and all of its parts plus about three toolboxes, a complete 351W, a complete 460, a few 460 blocks, various engine parts, a welding trailer, and various other parts. The other one (which makes me so damn mad) is full of sh*t my dad has thrown in there which damn near ALL of it needs to go to the dump.

P.S. We got damn near every tool with the exception of the cam swap tools that makes the process fly...
Old 07-26-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

That sounds like a sweet shop to have. I would love to have shop with a lift someday.
Any chance it will be getting cleaned out anytime this year??? I will help clean...
Old 07-26-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by truckmann
That sounds like a sweet shop to have. I would love to have shop with a lift someday.
Any chance it will be getting cleaned out anytime this year??? I will help clean...
I am working on it. My dad is too sensitive about his sh*t. He doesn't like anybody else touching it. Trust me, I could have that thing cleared in a day. Part of the stipulation of me keeping my truck was for him to clean it out (because a Vette is absolutely the last vehicle he wants me to get). The lifts are awesome...makes working on anything underneath the truck a dream...
Old 07-26-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well in that case I will start browsing the net and asking around and try to find a new motor. mcfarlnd, I will sell the truck for what i still owe on it. That is around 17,000, and it has 55,000 and 3 years left on the warranty. I will let you guys know if/when I get the motor. I really appreciate all of the help. Any sugestions on where to look for a motor.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW the extended warranty is what is killing me on what i owe on the truck.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by usarmyman
Well in that case I will start browsing the net and asking around and try to find a new motor. mcfarlnd, I will sell the truck for what i still owe on it. That is around 17,000, and it has 55,000 and 3 years left on the warranty. I will let you guys know if/when I get the motor. I really appreciate all of the help. Any sugestions on where to look for a motor.
I happen to have two motors...one is a 351W from a 69 Mustang and the other is a 460 from a 70ish wheat truck. Although not a direct fit, it would be something different and would be VERY fun in a truck.

Quick Reply: To hell with the Ol' V6