Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!!

I was at the track tonight and finally put down a decent time. 13.1 with a 2.0 60'. On the 4 run my truck shut down on me. I milked it home and raised the hood. My pcv valve was blown off, and I can hear a ticking sound. Also there is a constant check engine light blinking and it has a rough idle. There is also some smoke blowing out of the valve cover when I remove the pcv. Any ideas on what I may have broken? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all i can help you with is i know that the blinking light means there is a misfire. You might want to pull your plugs and look and see if they look ok. Other than that, i dont know. good luck
Old 11-12-2006, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ticking sound could be a multitude of things... bent pushrod, bad lifter, etc. Check engine light blinking is probably due to misfires. Smoke blowing out of the valvecover is usually not a good thing... I'd get all cylinders checked for compression... and leakdown too. Do you have any sort of crankcase ventilation / catchcan setup?

Bill
Old 11-12-2006, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

I just pulled the last spark plug on the driver side and the center probe and the other probe were both bent and the porciline looks like it blew up.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by billreid1@***.net
Ticking sound could be a multitude of things... bent pushrod, bad lifter, etc. Check engine light blinking is probably due to misfires. Smoke blowing out of the valvecover is usually not a good thing... I'd get all cylinders checked for compression... and leakdown too. Do you have any sort of crankcase ventilation / catchcan setup?

Bill
I dont have a crankcase ventilation / catchcan setup.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Teching In

wow does not sound good.
13.1 though, woohoo nice et congrats on that.
a code reader might point you to which cylinder is misfiring,saving a little time on the compression testing.
maybe you will luck out and it will just be a plug wire arcing to ground and causing a tick and a dead cylinder,then the raw fuel is washing the cylinder and letting some compression get by causing the smoke.
fingers crossed for ya here.

edit: i somehow missed your spark plug find post.
hopefully thats all that was hurt.
btw valve spring problems or bent pushrods will make your vacuum gage go nuts,steady bounce that makes you think the needles bound to fall off soon.

Last edited by c3x2; 11-12-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

The piston may have made contact. You might have a big problem on your hands. Possible broken rod bolt, broken piston ring, bent pushrod, bent valve, or a bad rocker arm.
The best place to start is with a compression test on that cylinder. Remember both the valves need to be closed on that cylinder to do the test properly.
I'm guessing one of the rings let go. The blown off pvc valve and smoke blowing out of the hole are signs that blow by went into the crank case and found its way out through the valve cover pvc hole.
Sorry, but I'd have to say that's the problem.
Nice run though.

Jim
Old 11-12-2006, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

I will try and get a compression test done tomorrow. I put a new spark plug in it and runs. It was not cutting out or feeling like it was running on 7 cylinders. I didn’t get in the throttle any and there is a slight ticking noise (barely noticeable). I leave for the desert in 2 weeks. I hope to milk it out until I leave and buy a forged 408 when I get back. Any one know the best place to buy a forged 408 long block!!!
Old 11-12-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

I predict detonation busted an upper ring land and the chunk of piston caused spark plug havoc. Sorry bud but you have a major internal issue to cause that kind of damage to the plug. How about a pic of the plug.
Nice time though.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:25 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ring land went bye bye IMO