Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Help Bad Idle With New Cam!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help Bad Idle With New Cam!!

Got my cam installed yesterday, see sig. It idles fine when cold, but when it warms up it won't idle for **** unless you power brake it. Especially when you roll to a stop, it just dies out. What can I do with my predator to make it idle halfway normal? I ran the idle settings up 7.4% on all the table and still have no luck. Running with the devil won't e-mail me back or send me any damn tunes so I'm f'ed unless some of my brothers here on LS1tech can help me out!! I cant drive the sumbitch like this, so any info is appreciated. Otherwise the cam pulls like a mother. Could it be the TR55s I put in it? THey're gapped at .50...I thought I'd put the AC Patinums back in it and see if that helped it out or not WHat do ya'll think. I know this is such a popular cam somebody must've ran across this before. I have the DBW throttle body, with no hole, but is drilling it out of the question? I hate to do that, but if it works.... Seems to me the Diablo could do SOMETHING to remedy my situation....DAMn piece of **** if it won't!!!!

Thansk bros!!

Ryan
Old 03-09-2004, 01:10 PM
Launching!

I might try drilling a hole in the throttle body blade if nothing else is working. I have that same cam, and when they installed it at Thunder Racing, they drilled the hole slightly larger. I don't have the DBW throttle body though. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

I thought I read a post awhile back about this. Something about using edit to open the blade a bit more in the rest position. I would check on this before drilling since its dbw. Hopefully someone else that has had this problem will chime in soon.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would drill a small hole in the TB blade .. down close to the bottom of it, about a 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the blade. Start small and worth your way up. Mine is drilled at 1/8 and my cam is a little larger than the 212/218.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:46 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd slightly port the throttle body. Just sand down that raised aluminum tongue shape on the bottom of the TB. Not completely, maybe 1/4 of it. That will allow more air in the TB at idle, and give the some benefit of a ported TB. Then you won't need a hole in the blade. Better idle, more performance, what else could you ask for.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:02 PM
single digit dreamer

not sure about tex's idea but i but more air will help, i drilled a small hole in my DBW plate and it made all the diference.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Be careful, I drilled mine and it wanted to run 1800 rpms. Mine already had a small hole 1/8 ",I think, I drilled to 3/16 and noticed no differance at idle so I drilled to 1/4" and it idled good but it wanted to run 50 mph with no throttle.
There is an idle screw on throttlebody if you have a throttle cable.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:55 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

The 03+ trucks don't have IAC or any hole in the blade at all. It uses the electric throttle to control the incoming air at idle. Idle will have the blade parked slightly open to control idle air.

Originally Posted by parish8
not sure about tex's idea but i but more air will help, i drilled a small hole in my DBW plate and it made all the diference.

I'm not just pulling this out of my butt. Since I ported my stock throttle body, I learned alot about idle and this electric TB. I cut down that tongue shaped protrusion and it increases the amount of air at very low throttle angles. Additional air at low throttle angle (idle / cruise) is the goal when you are putting a hole in the blade. Why not lightly sand down and smooth out that hump - end result, more idle air and better flow. Just be careful with the amount you cut it down. Too much porting and it will act just like you put too big a hole in the blade.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you want to get a tune for the cam email johan@diablosport.com he will help you out. I just got a tune for my truck, and it drives much better, no more ses lights, better idle, and more power down low.

I emailed Johan my upload file at 9:00pm thursday night, and he had emailed me back by 8:08am Friday with my tune attached. And its free by the way.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Check for a vacuum leak,that cam is pretty mild even at 675 RPMs or there abouts.Did you advance the cam?

Quick Reply: Help Bad Idle With New Cam!!