Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

help. big problem.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the reply Bud. It's about 30 degrees with wind chill out there so I decided to wait until tomorrow to work on the truck. It's supposed to get up to 49 or so. Unfortunately, I threw away my original 4.8L starter. It was on it's way out so I just tossed it. It looks like I should be able to get a used one for about $60-75. I've been looking at LS1/2 starters. They are a little stronger than the 4.8/5.3 starter.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

arggg.

Just got back in. Gorgeous day outside.

Pulled the starter and the starter looked fine. Teeth on the flywheel looked fine. No loose converter bolts. Converter was not loose. No apparent cracks in the flywheel. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to turn the flexplate so I couldn't get a full look at it and the other 2 tq. conv bolts. Dammit.

So knowing this, I'm gonna have to let a pro take a look at it. I've exhausted my abilities. I know basically nothing about working on cars. I've got a jack and some assorted hand tools out in an apt. parking lot. Not good.

So knowing that if I went to the dealership or something, I just put all the exhaust back to stock. Fired the truck up and drove around the block with no problems. No noise, vibration, nothing. I'm going to go on a longer drive now and see if anything pops up. I'm thinking I'm going to have the trans pulled and the flexplate and torque converter inspected. Oh yeah, it feels like I lost about 50hp with the stock exhaust back on
This is almost inconceivable, but maybe something with the OBX exhaust was hitting the frame somewhere. I dont even see this as possible though considering when the noise was happening I got under the truck and the headers weren't even close to the frame! Maybe the Y pipe was hitting the xmember?? It does sit very close to it. I just don't know.

I'm just completely stumped. WHAT could cause an intermittent grinding noise at startup that goes away for 2 months and then just randomly comes back? And just so happens to coincide with the very drive when I get this grinding noise/vibration when driving? You figure if it was something in the engine it would be happening all the time? From the engine bay the engine sounds good (sans the loud valvetrain noise). It definitely doesn't sound like a rod is knocking. The trans shifts good, I really don't think that's the problem. If the trans was going out you'd think there would be some noticeable problem with shifting. Who knows. All I know is that once you start facing these possibly catastrophic problems, you really start thinking if all this modding is worth it...
Old 11-16-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow you should be a pro at swapping headers now, and remember as long as the mod you put on did not cause the failure, the dealership will fix it, by law.

sound like it was the headers vibrating on the frame, i would drive around a while and if it doesnt come back it was the headers.

oh and dont get down, you will always run into something, you learn from it and keep rolling. thats the fun of it
Old 11-16-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

I do not ******* understand this. Everything is fine now, it had to be the headers vibrtating on the frame. **** these OBX. If anyone is interested I'm selling them for $300. Headers and Y pipe. I'm getting Pacesetters and having a custom exhaust made. 2 cutouts right after the headers.

The funny thing about all this is that none of this explains the grinding sound intermittently when starting. I'm chalking that up to my starter. I bought this supposed new started off ebay for $60. Looking back, there's no way this starter could have been new for $60. But it looked brand new and appeared to be genuine OEM! Maybe it was remanufactured.

Last edited by GMCtrk; 11-16-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

here are some pictures of the starter

Old 11-16-2008, 05:55 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the teeth look kinda beatup on the tips or end (whatever) like something was scraping it.sooo i think it was the starter... pm'd you
Old 11-16-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Wish i would have seen this earlier man.
Dynatechs/obx same crap....you gotta be careful about how you get the exhaust clamp together/bolted up next to the frame on the passenger side.
If the bolt etc is close to the frame it will do what you are talking about EVERY time.
I have fought with this i can't tell you how many times with my dynatechs and it's always the band clamp that connects directly over the crossmember on the passenger side.
I actually cut off most of the bolt and it still is a pain to get it right not to hit.
Hope this helps ya out and nothing is wrong with the truck just some bolt on frame action...although it sounds like something is gonna blow up at any moment lol.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks man, and yes I'm done with the obx headers. I'm going with pacesetters tried and true. I just want to be able to put some headers in and be done with it. The only good thing out of all this is that now I'm a master of taking out the stock exhaust and putting in headers!
Old 11-16-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Thanks man, and yes I'm done with the obx headers. I'm going with pacesetters tried and true. I just want to be able to put some headers in and be done with it. The only good thing out of all this is that now I'm a master of taking out the stock exhaust and putting in headers!
Well at least your looking on the bright side lol. Pacesetters will give ya a couple extra ponies anyway. Just make sure you get the coated ones not the painted.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was extremely happy with the performance from the OBX headers. It really woke the LQ9 up. When I floor it, it would really put me back in the seat in 1st gear!

Quick Reply: help. big problem.