Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

HELP! HELP! HELP!! Cam Install Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP! HELP! HELP!! Cam Install Problems

Okay, started the cam swap in my LQ9. I bought the lifter tools from Thunder, but they won't go in?? Spun it 50 thousand times both ways, and both tools hang at the same place on both sides. Yes I am using them on the right sides. Hang up 2 cylinders back. the drivers side finally went, but it had resistance the whole way. The passenger side only goes back to the 2 cylinder then it gouges the lifter rod tool?? I filed it down, and then it would make it just barely past that spot & gouge it again. what the hell is wrong? is it me, these tools, what? anyone with similar experience??? This is bad, very bad. HELP PLEASE!!!!!
Old 10-29-2005, 12:00 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have a pen magnet handy if you can get ahold of one the stick it on each lifter to pull it up then slide your tool under th lifter to hold it up.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:14 AM
Sexy Party Mod

what diameter is that tool. I ended up using a 3/16" stainless steel filler rod for mine and it worked good. If it has resistance then dont force it!!! you could end up flattening a lifter or two!!!! BAD BAD BAD DANGER DANGER DANGER!!! Use something small and dont force anything!!!(well except that damn crank pulley)!! are the lifters falling? or is there just limited space to put the tool?
Old 10-29-2005, 12:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not you man. Its those goddam JPR tools, they NEVER WORK!!! Send them back and use the magnet trick!!!!
Old 10-29-2005, 08:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

I do have ONE magnet, since I got the tools I didn't buy any more. Even pulling up on ht elifter doesn't work. I think it is hitting something else, not a lifter. I don't think i damaged anything, especially since those rods are such a soft metal compaered to the lifters/block. The lifters aren't falling either. So much for this being an easy swap, I felt like I was going to hang myself right there in the garage. It is cold as **** (46* in TEXAS is COLD)!
Old 10-29-2005, 08:56 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of people having problems with those tools...I guess sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I have them and used em on my 5.3 and they worked flawlessly, then I lent them to tdrumm and they worked for him (5.3) too. I guess that not all blocks are machined exactly the same.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:03 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use A Pin Mag It Will Work Had To Do It Once
Old 10-29-2005, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

In 02 they changed the lifter design, the rods won't work. Take them out. I have an 02 and made two rods from 5/16 steel rod from Home Depot. Cut them to length, put a 90 degree end on them and rounded the inserted end on the grinding wheel. If you need more information, shoot me an e-mail. I didn't go the magnet route because some have had the magnet break and stick on the lifter, then you have to remove the head.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by vettenuts
In 02 they changed the lifter design, the rods won't work. Take them out. I have an 02 and made two rods from 5/16 steel rod from Home Depot. Cut them to length, put a 90 degree end on them and rounded the inserted end on the grinding wheel. If you need more information, shoot me an e-mail. I didn't go the magnet route because some have had the magnet break and stick on the lifter, then you have to remove the head.

5/16" or 3/16"? I've gotten both on this post????
Old 10-29-2005, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by vettenuts
In 02 they changed the lifter design, the rods won't work.
You would think Thunder would know this and not cause such aggrivation selling these tools to 02+ owners.

Sorry to hear about it man, hopefully the 3/16 will work, if not, I used 16 pen magnets with no problem, just test them all out first.

Quick Reply: HELP! HELP! HELP!! Cam Install Problems