Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Help with Hypertech III

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 10:40 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Hypertech III

I tried installing a tune. Handheld keeps freezing up and telling to restart it. Keep getting a DTC U0107. I think it is low voltage. Any thoughts???
Old 03-12-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BluethunderWS6
I tried installing a tune. Handheld keeps freezing up and telling to restart it. Keep getting a DTC U0107. I think it is low voltage. Any thoughts???
If you have OnStar try disconnecting the VIU Module behind the glove box and try it again..
Old 03-12-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is info that may help you:
DTC U0107
Circuit Description
The throttle actuator control (TAC) module and the powertrain control module (PCM) communicate via a dedicated serial data circuit. This serial data circuit is separate from any other serial data circuit on the vehicle. Accurate transmitting and receiving of serial data requires not only good circuit integrity, but also adequate system voltage. This diagnostic test monitors the accuracy of the serial data transmitted between the TAC module and the PCM. If the PCM detects a loss of data or invalid data, this DTC sets.

Conditions for Running the DTC
The ignition switch is in the Crank or Run position.
The ignition voltage is more than 5.23 volts.
Conditions for Setting the DTC
Invalid or missing serial data messages are detected for a predetermined amount of time.
The above condition is met for more than 1 second.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails.
The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Freeze Frame and/or the Failure Records.
The control module commands the TAC system to operate in the Reduced Engine Power mode.
A message center or an indicator displays Reduced Engine Power.
Under certain conditions the control module commands the engine OFF.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
• The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

• A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.

• A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.

• Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

Diagnostic Aids

Important
Reprogramming the PCM may cause a communication error between the PCM and the TAC. If the PCM detects a communication error, DTC U0107 sets. Clear any DTCs from the memory that may have been set by Reprogramming.

DTC U0107 sets if the battery voltage is low. If the customer's concern is slow cranking or no crank because battery voltage is low, ignore DTC U0107. Clear any DTCs from memory that may have set from the low battery voltage condition.
DTC U0107 sets when there is a short to B+ on the TAC module ground circuit. Inspect the fuses for the circuits that are in the TAC module harness--i.e. cruise, brake. An inspection of the fuses may lead you to the circuit that is shorted to the TAC module ground circuit.
DTC U0107 sets if the TAC module ignition feed circuit is shorted to a B+ supply circuit. The TAC module stays powered-up when the ignition switch is turned OFF. When the ignition switch is turned ON, the TAC module is powered-up before the PCM. DTC U0107 sets because no communication is detected by the TAC module from the PCM. Inspect related circuits for being shorted to a B+ supply circuit.
Inspect the TAC module power and ground circuits and the TAC module/PCM serial data circuits for intermittent connections.
Inspect the TAC module connectors for signs of water intrusion. If water intrusion occurs, multiple DTCs may set without any circuit or component conditions found during diagnostic testing.
When the TAC module detects a problem within the TAC system, more than one TAC system related DTC may set. This is due to the many redundant tests run continuously on this system. Locating and repairing an individual condition may correct more than one DTC. Remember this if you review the stored information in Capture Info.
For an intermittent condition, refer to Intermittent Conditions .
Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

This step determines if the ignition relay is supplying a voltage to the ETC fuse.

Increasing the engine speed to 3,000 RPM aids in locating a shorted throttle actuator motor control circuit. Depending on the polarity of the throttle actuator motor transistors, this DTC may not set with a fault in the control circuits. The throttle actuator motor is a bi-directional DC motor. Raising the engine speed changes the polarity of the transistors in the throttle actuator motor. This occurs because one set of the transistors is low, 0 volts, and the other set is high, B+. Therefore, if one set of transistors is at a low voltage and the corresponding circuit is shorted low, DTC P1518 will not set. When the polarity of the transistors change, this DTC sets. If this DTC does not fail this ignition, continue to monitor this DTC status while moving related harnesses and connectors.

Locating and repairing an individual condition may correct more than one DTC.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry needed two posts: "Too long"
Here is the rest:

Step
Action
Values
Yes
No

First "go to step" is for a yes answer
Second is for a no answer

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check - Engine Controls?
--
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Engine Controls

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Remove the cover from the underhood electrical center.
Test both sides of the ETC fuse with a test lamp connected to ground.
Does the test lamp illuminate on at least one side of the fuse?
--
Go to Step 3
Go to Ignition Relay Diagnosis

Turn OFF the ignition
Test for voltage at the ETC fuse with a test lamp connected to ground.
Does the test lamp illuminate?
--
Go to Step 22
Go to Step 4

Connect a scan tool.

Is DTC P0604 also set?
--
Go to DTC P0601-P0607, P1600, P1621, P1627, P1680, P1681, P1683, or P2610
Go to Step 5

Important
If the Driver Information Center is displaying Reduced Engine Power, go to Step 6.

Start the engine.
Increase the engine speed to 3,000 RPM, if possible.
Monitor the DTC Info option using the scan tool.
Does the scan tool indicate this DTC failed this ignition?
--
Go to Step 6
Go to Diagnostic Aids

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the throttle actuator motor harness connector.
Test for voltage at both throttle actuator motor control circuits with a DMM.
Does the DMM indicate voltage on both circuits above the specified value?
1 V
Go to Step 12
Go to Step 7

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the throttle actuator control (TAC) module connectors.
Test both throttle actuator motor control circuits for continuity to ground with a DMM.
Does the DMM indicate continuity to ground?
--
Go to Step 10
Go to Step 8

Turn OFF the ignition.
Remove the ETC fuse.
Test the TAC side of the fuse terminal for continuity to ground with a DMM. Refer to Diagnostic Aids for terminal identification table.
Does the DMM indicate continuity to ground?
--
Go to Step 9
Go to Step 11

Disconnect the TAC module 16-way harness connector.
Test the TAC side of the fuse terminal for a short to ground with a DMM. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Did you find and correct the condition?
--
Go to Step 28
Go to Step 24

Test the throttle actuator motor control circuits for a short to ground at the TAC module 16-way harness connector with a DMM. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
--
Go to Step 28
Go to Step 24

Turn OFF the ignition.
Test the TAC module ignition feed circuit for an open or high resistance with a DMM. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
--
Go to Step 28
Go to Step 24

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the TAC module 16-way connector.
Test for a short to voltage at both throttle actuator motor control circuits with a DMM. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
--
Go to Step 28
Go to Step 13

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the TAC module 10-way harness connector.
Test for a short between each throttle actuator motor control circuit and all other TAC module circuits with a DMM. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
--
Go to Step 28
Go to Step 14

Test for an open or high resistance in the TAC module ground circuit with a DMM. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 28
Go to Step 15

Test for voltage on the serial data circuits at the TAC module 16-way harness connector with a DMM.

Does the DMM indicate voltage within the specified values for both circuits?
0-4.5 V
Go to Step 16
Go to Step 18

Turn OFF the ignition.
Test both serial data circuits at the TAC module 16-way harness connector for continuity to ground with a DMM.
Does the DMM indicate OL for both circuits?
--
Go to Step 20
Go to Step 17

Disconnect the powertrain control module (PCM) connector containing the TAC module serial data circuits.
Test both serial data circuits at the TAC module 16-way connector for a short to ground with a DMM. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
--
Go to Step 28
Go to Step 18

Test for a short between both serial data circuits and all other circuits at the PCM and TAC module harness connectors with a DMM. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 28
Go to Step 19

Test for a short to voltage on both serial data circuits at the TAC module 16-way connector with a DMM. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 28
Go to Step 25

Disconnect the PCM connector that contains the TAC module serial data circuits.
Test each serial data circuit between the TAC module 16-way harness connector and the PCM harness connector for an open or high resistance with a DMM. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
--
Go to Step 28
Go to Step 21

Connect the PCM.
Turn ON the ignition.
Test for voltage on the serial data circuit at the TAC module 16-way harness connector with a DMM.
Does the DMM indicate voltage at the specified value?
0 V
Go to Step 25
Go to Step 24

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the 16-way TAC module harness connector.
Test the TAC module ignition feed circuit for a short to battery voltage. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
--
Go to Step 28
Go to Step 23

Turn ON the ignition.
Test both TAC motor circuits for a short to voltage. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
--
Go to Step 28
Go to Step 24

Test for poor connections at the TAC module harness connector. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Repairing Connector Terminals in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 28
Go to Step 26

Test for poor connections at the PCM harness connector. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Repairing Connector Terminals in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 28
Go to Step 27

Replace the TAC module. Refer to Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?
--
Go to Step 28
--

Replace the PCM. Refer to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?
--
Go to Step 28
--

Clear the DTCs with a scan tool.
Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
Start the engine.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.
Did the DTC fail this ignition?
--
Go to Step 2
Go to Step 29

Observe the Capture Info with a scan tool.

Are there any DTCs that have not been diagnosed?
--
Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List
System OK
Old 03-13-2005, 10:40 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Flipper your the man, wow thats a post. Thank you man. After two hours of saying what the hell . I decided to try pulling the onstar fuses. I dont have onstar equipped on my truck, but I do have all the fuses for it. Well the short of it is. If you have an 04, you have to pull your radio fuse located under the hood. It worked just fine after that. I dont know why the radio alarm system thing kept meesing things up. Hypertech needs to update thier stuff. I guess the 03's didnt have this problem.

Anyways thank you again Flipper, that was an awesome post and really good info.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Flipper your the man, wow thats a post. Thank you man. After two hours of saying what the hell . I decided to try pulling the onstar fuses. I dont have onstar equipped on my truck, but I do have all the fuses for it. Well the short of it is. If you have an 04, you have to pull your radio fuse located under the hood. It worked just fine after that. I dont know why the radio alarm system thing kept meesing things up. Hypertech needs to update thier stuff. I guess the 03's didnt have this problem.

Anyways thank you again Flipper, that was an awesome post and really good info.

Glad to hear you were able to get it going!
Old 03-13-2005, 11:19 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Here were the track results.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289376
Old 03-13-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

I think a .2 gain is probably common with the HPP3. Those gains are coming from the extended powerband (up to 6200 in your case) and the firmer shifts. You should be able to find one for around $200 used. .2 is pretty good for $200 if you ask me! Plus you can go right back to stock when you need to bring it to the dealer.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:30 AM
14 Second Truck Club

I am gonna buy HPtuners when I have the cash. Yeah I didnt really notice much in the 1/8th. I would pay 200 buck for one. I did feel good shifting at 6k. I was just happy running a 15.9 on a stock tune.