Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Help, I locked up my engine today!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is now official. I will never put Comp springs on anything I own.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I 2nd that I have the patriot dual springs and have yet to have a problem.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

th4e comp 921 dual springs are the only ones worth running the 918's dont hold up the patrior springs are about half the cost of the comp's and just as good i would always recomend using dual springs on everything
Old 03-31-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, thats terrible.. I lucked out and the guy I bought my engine from had put Patriot Dual Golds in it.. Thank goodness.. I hope Comp helps you guys out, kinda sad something like this could happen in such a large quantity..
Old 04-03-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

aw..... i think ill just return my new springs that i got in the mail last week!
Old 04-05-2008, 06:14 AM
TECH Addict

If they won't take them back, just sell them!

I worked all night last night and got the head pulled off. The edge of the valve was jammed into the piston and just stuck there. The top part of the valve was in the intake runner. The cylinder wall is unharmed. The head has an approx 3/4 of an inch gouge near the spark plug hole. Oh yeah, I wasn't too surprised to find another broken spring on the other head Luckily, that valve was still secured. I will post pics soon because I'm too tired right now.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:35 AM
10 Second Moderator

Originally Posted by CashDudeHomie
So... the first Comp 918 valve spring on the #7 cylinder broke along the topmost coil, dropping the valve into the cylinder. The spark plug wasn't damaged, but I didn't pull the head off yet to see what kind of mess there is.

I don't remember the spring batch#, but I remember the julian date showed them manufactured in late May 2006. They had a blue or green stripe. It was hard to tell which color it originally was, it is kind of a shade in between the two.

Anyone ever dropped a valve and NOT have catastrophic damage?
That would be me this weekend pulling my enclosed trailer home from the Pinks allout race in Louisiana. I was just about home (middle of Indiana south of FTWayne) a hellova rattle from under the hood so I pulled over and the truck stalled. I pulled out all the plugs and they looked good so I pulled the passenger side valve cover and found a broken valvespring (stock) I had pulled over soon enough to get the retainer and one keeper out. I took the rocker and pushrod out, cleaned out all the debris from the spring then put a ziptie on the stem of the bent valve and then drove the remaining 150 miles home doing 70 but it took a little longer to get up to speed. It marked up my piston a little but didnt hurt anything else.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:31 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Torkman15
That would be me this weekend pulling my enclosed trailer home from the Pinks allout race in Louisiana. I was just about home (middle of Indiana south of FTWayne) a hellova rattle from under the hood so I pulled over and the truck stalled. I pulled out all the plugs and they looked good so I pulled the passenger side valve cover and found a broken valvespring (stock) I had pulled over soon enough to get the retainer and one keeper out. I took the rocker and pushrod out, cleaned out all the debris from the spring then put a ziptie on the stem of the bent valve and then drove the remaining 150 miles home doing 70 but it took a little longer to get up to speed. It marked up my piston a little but didnt hurt anything else.
That story rocks! We will now call you MacGyver
Old 04-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
That story rocks! We will now call you MacGyver

Haha, ya really.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

glad i am going with the prc springs heard lot of negative things bout the comp springs but some people love them.i just always been told to spend the extra money on the best springs and top end components or it will bite you in th *** later on.

Quick Reply: Help, I locked up my engine today!!