Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Help! Ins claim? Bent Frame

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Ins claim? Bent Frame

I am in the process of rotating and balancing my tires and changing my oil and I just realized my frame is BENT. It is bent where the left lower control arm bolts up to the frame in the front. Its bent pretty bad at the subframe in the left front corner. I mean it doesn't pull, but it looks bad. My question is would it be worth it to call the insurance company? It is something I did offroading and I am curious as to what is going to happen. Most likeley I imagine it will be totaled and I either get a new truck or I buy this one back. Not sure. Any help people who have experienced this? Thanks.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Help! Ins claim? Bent Frame

Hey,

Good news and bad news. First of all, they probably won't total it out since frames are only about 3200 bucks. They will just take the truck off the frame and put the new one under it. I am not sure where in maryland you are but I would reccomend (sp?) Advanced Collision Limited in frederick, also Modern Auto Body in frederick (near the dump of I 70). Good luck we were friends with the previous owners of Advanced they fixed some of the most banged up cars I have seen (i.e. landrovers that rolled, high speed head on collision).

Lenny
Old 09-27-2003, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No insurance company would pay for an entire car to be rebuilt onto a new frame. That would cost more to do than totaling a brand new truck.
They may just try to have a shop straighten it. Insurance companies will try to fix it the cheapest way possible!
Old 09-27-2003, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ryan,

My friend works at Chriswell chevrolet in Montgomery county maryland, they do about 3 frame changes a week. Insurance companies do this on a regular basis. If yours doesn't that is the first I have heard. New frames are not a big deal at all they can remove and replace in less than a week if all the parts are there (he claims 2 days 8 hours a day if it was just a switch with no broken parts). Please feel free to call your company or a reputable body shop and ask, pulling these frames is DANGEROUS and my friend says no way would they pull them
Old 09-27-2003, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

My frame broke right above the rear axle (due to no c-notch with my flip kit). The insurance company was not going to total it, just MAYBE replace the frame.

Instead I c-notched it, put a roll pan and cowl hood on it, and said **** THE INSURANCE COMPANY!!!

Josh Hucks
Old 09-27-2003, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MonteCarlo I forgot about these new body style frames and their fairly rigid frames. You are correct, you cannot bend them straight again without there being some weakness being put in the metal. I guess that is why they have the crumple sections on these new frames in the front and back. I have heard of people getting those sections replaced when rearended or slow head on collisions.
I am not saying you are incorrect, but I cannot believe that shops do a full frame change...That is some work
Old 09-27-2003, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

I wish it was that easy to say f the ins company. I must have had amnesia because I am remembering something about hitting a tree that fell down in the road during the huricane that came through here. Dammit if you wouldn't know it, I didn't think it was that bad. hehe
I'll keep ya'll posted, oh and I am not going to criswell chevy!
Old 09-27-2003, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just wondering why not criswell?? If you want PM me so that others do don't hear. They have been ok from what I hear/see but then again, my friend works there so you get extra good treatment, I would say, Modern Auto Body or advanced collision ltd. sometimes they can write your deductable in so you don't have to pay anything. Where in MD are you ? I go to ohio for some GREAT muddin.

Lenny
Old 09-27-2003, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Ohio for muddin? Wow, a little more dedicated than me Nothing with criswell at all, never been there. Heard good things but I work in a autopark and I can walk to the chevy dealer. I work for a BMW dealer in silver spring, MD. I went to Sport Chevy while my truck was under its warranty when I bought it used. I live in Jessup, MD if you know where that is. The reason I said not criswell, is because I kinda want a new truck, not sure though. I love my truck, first ls1 full size thats all mine. Love to use it though, muddin, haulin stuff. Anyway, where are you at Monte?
Old 09-27-2003, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mudz 5.3,

The place in Ohio is killer it's called seven creeks a lot for trucks and 4 wheelers and whatnot if you do a serach on google "7 creeks off road" or such you can see some great pics of it. Now back to the topic at hand. I actually live in Tampa ($hit hole) FL. But my parents live near the frederick co/ Montgomery co line in maryland off Rt 75 near 75/80 dragway.

Edit Can't wait to get home

Lenny

Quick Reply: Help! Ins claim? Bent Frame