Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Help make me fast

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump for more advice, especially on the verter. I'm thinking it might not be loose enough but thinking it'll flash at 3000+ with my 33" tires and heavy truck.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

It would probly get you to the 3k but why would you want a stock converter the aftermarkets are built so much better, and no its not an absolute thing to have a converter with a cam it will be nice with either one but with both its definatly fun.

After market converters can get up there in price thas why i said you can wait on it, you can search for them used but its best if you can inspect it before taking it ya know as well as the person having a good selling rep. I bought a used suppossedly new one off a fella that said he used it for mock up purposes not sure what that was for but it was trash when i got it.

Bolt holes were completely stripped i could slide the bolts in and they would bottom our before ever catching a thread and when i pulled it back out there werent any threads at all. Fella said i did it after a big long ordeal of trying to get him to cover it with me explaining that i was deployed when i bought it and it sat in a box for about a month before i got back to the states then sat in that box that it was shipped to me in UNOPENED in my wifes office at the house for about another month after i got back and was tossed into work before i could mess with it.

Anyway i pulled it to the open forum and he still claimed i did it and i never got my money refunded even after i told him id ship the converter back at my expense so that proves he knew it was trash when he sent it and i was out 350 or 400 something.

Just be carefull man
Old 08-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice. I was going to hold off on a cam swap until I got a verter since I hear so many people tell me not to bother unless you do both. I'll definitely get one but I would be driving around for a little while with the stock one after my cam swap. I will be careful to buy one off of a reputable member on here, thanks for the heads up on that.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah i d say go cam swap first as you dont need a tune for a converter for the most part unless your gonna modify shif points and later after the cam if you want more you can just toss a converter in there and not really get more power but it will hit alot harder so seat of the pants will increase a good bit.

The guy i bought from was on LS1tech it was for my car.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Found a good deal on some 799 heads with patriot dual springs. Only issue is 2 bent valves, they were on a GTO that he blew up so I have to get them checked out.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Everyone BUT this guy has no idea what they are talking about. 224ish cam in a 6,000 lb truck? Good advice.

Originally Posted by MPFD
Get an LS6 cam and a radix, and call it a day...

Also, you aren't going to be keeping up with anything with a $600-800 budget. Don't even bother.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

LS6 cam and a radix? Yeah that'd be nice. Looking to stay NA right now anyway. Wouldn't mind going over the budget but I'm not looking to spend $2000 either.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:31 AM
Staging Lane

This week I ordered all my parts, except a converter. I got a cam, PAC 1218s, LS7 lifters, LS2 timing set, and LPP LTs. Should make for a fun setup. Just waiting for a converter in the size I want to show up in the classifieds here.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:58 AM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What cam??

Id never buy a used converter...EVER..... JMHO
Old 09-10-2011, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

X2

Dont forget the hardened pushrods.

Quick Reply: Help make me fast