Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Help me choose a cam for a 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me choose a cam for a 4x4

I've recently purchased an '01 ecsb Z71 with the 5.3 and have plans to lift it and run 34-35" tires. I have 3.73 gears and everything's totally stock now. I'd like to pick up some low end torque as I didn't really want to regear the truck. Would a 208 grind comp cam be a good choice for low end power. I noticed when I drive it I rarely get it over 3k rpm's(I must be getting old).

I built an LS1 f-body a few years back with a Comp 224XE-R cam, headers, intake, etc and you really had to rev it to get it to pull, I want take off from the stoplight power this time around. Someone refresh me as to what is out for these engines now and what might be my best choice.

GregM
Old 09-28-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything bigger than stock will cause you to incrementally lose low end. It gets worse, not better, with an aftermarket cam. As you increase duration, power moves up the RPM scale, so as soon as you get bigger than the stock cam (191/190), you start losing low-end power. Then you end up having to chase that power with a higher stall speed torque converter.

Your best bet if you want more power directly off-the-line is to get a Whipple or a Radix.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

well if you want low end grunt the comp 212/218 low lift might be somethng. you should get alot of answers on here.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cstchevy
well if you want low end grunt the comp 212/218 low lift might be somethng. you should get alot of answers on here.
I always say I would love to have my set up in a 4x4. could you imagine the **** you could go through. I'd definately get a tt3000 before the cam.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 12sec.5.3
I always say I would love to have my set up in a 4x4. could you imagine the **** you could go through.

just need bigger tires boy how fun that'd be
Old 09-28-2004, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you never go over 3000 rpm then you don't need a bigger cam. A larger then stock cam usally always means a loss in low end torque.

A small cam advanced 4 degrees may provide more low end (small I mean 200-206 intake duration).

You could alway drop a 6.0L in there, then problem solved.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

I guess in the grand scheme of things, it might just be better to regear. I can do a cam swap by myself no-problem, but gears are such a pain. I've done gears myself, and I'd gladly pay someone else to do them, but there just isn't anyone that will touch gears anymore. Would Thorley headers be a worthwhile investment for more torque or are they crap? I spent several hours reading through the archived posts on here, and got mixed reviews of Thorleys.

12 sec.5.3
Tell me more about your setup and how it acts thru the powerband.

GregM
Old 09-28-2004, 10:37 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

I think you'd gain some good torque with a 208 cam. Just because its bigger than the stock cam doesn't mean its not going to be torque friendly. Remember, GM used the stock grind to meed power, emissions, long life, low noise, and other goals. If you are willing to sacrifice some emissions, spring life, noise, etc... then a cam swap can make more power at every power range.

I wouldn't hesitate to install a 208 208 XE high lift cam in a 5.3. Put it on a 114 lsa no advance. 02 LS6 springs would work well with it too.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

I really can't speak about cams in 5.3's, but I heard that the Comp 206/212 makes power right off idle in a LS1.

When I was looking for a torquey cam, a lot of people said, "You want lowend torque? Get a good converter in there..."

From what I gathered, the popular Yank 2600 is a great stock-replacement-like stall. The 3000 is for vehicles who visit the track a fair amount, or for drivers who are more agressive.

I'm thinking with the 3.73's and 35" tires, the Yank 2600 will be pretty sweet. I'm thinking the 3000 will feel a little too loose with the low overall gearing in the truck. I still don't have any REAL experience with my 2600, so I can't say for certain.

My VHP cam makes great power for a street vehicle. I too drive like an old man 90% of the time, honestly never getting much over 2,500. Even driving that reserved, there is plenty of lowend power to get me around just fine on the stock converter. I have the advantage of a 6.0 though, so it eats up the cam a bit. Power IS a little soft under 1,500, but I raised my converters lock/unlock points so I rarely notice. This same cam can be had on a 114LSA to extend the power down even lower. It wouldn't hurt to call around and ask some cam mfg's... Roger and Joe at VHP are very nice, to deal with.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BigTex
I think you'd gain some good torque with a 208 cam. Just because its bigger than the stock cam doesn't mean its not going to be torque friendly. Remember, GM used the stock grind to meed power, emissions, long life, low noise, and other goals. If you are willing to sacrifice some emissions, spring life, noise, etc... then a cam swap can make more power at every power range.

I wouldn't hesitate to install a 208 208 XE high lift cam in a 5.3. Put it on a 114 lsa no advance. 02 LS6 springs would work well with it too.
208/208, no advance, and no loss of bottom end? Really? You know this is a just a 5.3L, and is an extended cab, right?

Quick Reply: Help me choose a cam for a 4x4