Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Help me identify my metal shavings!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder550
Question....if I pull the bearing caps and the bearing is good, do I still need to replace it? Or can I just put the cap back on it?

A bearing that looks good with the caps off is 90% of the battle. To be sure of the bearings put a strip of plastiguage across the journal and torque the brg. caps down. Remove the brg. caps, measure your plasticguage and read your clearances. Check clearances to specifications to make the final determination. Again, if a bearing looks good then it is not a likely candidate to be shelling out copious amounts of shiny metal.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the first time you've had the pan off since install? Maybe the previous owner did some work on the engine (on an engine stand) prior to you getting it and never ran it. Whatever that is could have been lying in a crevis and once the oil started flowing got into the pan and maybe clogged the pump some. (Thinking Positive for you )

I'd pull the oil pump, inspect. Pull the cam, inspect it and bearings. If that all checks out...I think I'd put it back together. Before you pull the cam maybe loosen the rockers a little and rotate the cam and listen for any abnormal sound. Maybe a lifter is having issues and tearing up your guide trays.
Good Luck
Old 11-15-2006, 10:44 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pulled the pan before I put the motor in so I could put the ARP rod bolts on it, didn't see any shavings then. Only put about 10K miles on it since then. Supposedly the engine was from a wrecked Escalade, it was 100% stock when I got it. The only place I can see shavings getting in was the oil cooler lines. It would have had to get into the correct one that didn't go through the filter, I suppose it could have drained straight into the pan. I dunno. I'm so worked up about the 408 now that I'm going to pull the LQ9 anyway. I'll inspect it, and if everything checks out I'll probably put it back together and end up selling it complete, or as a short block. I still have the stock oil pump off my 5.3, so I can replace the one on the LQ9 just in case something made it's way up in there. I think inspecting the rod and main bearings and pulling the cam will tell me the story....if I don't see anything, I can't imagine that there would be a problem.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:46 AM
High on diesel fumes

Well I tore into the motor today, all of the bearings looked great, put everything back together, swapped oil pumps from my old 5.3 to see if that would fix the oil pressure problem, sealed everything up, everything looking good, and then......threads inside the crank snout strip out while I am putting the balancer back on

So the motor has to come apart anyway now. Might as well part it out since there's no chance I can sell it complete.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well **** the Bed!

Don't know a fix for that one.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thunder550
Well I tore into the motor today, all of the bearings looked great, put everything back together, swapped oil pumps from my old 5.3 to see if that would fix the oil pressure problem, sealed everything up, everything looking good, and then......threads inside the crank snout strip out while I am putting the balancer back on

So the motor has to come apart anyway now. Might as well part it out since there's no chance I can sell it complete.
man that kinda blows.

lemme know when you're going to start parting out the motor, im interested
Old 11-18-2006, 11:34 AM
High on diesel fumes

The only thing I'm really going to be getting rid of is the rotating assembly. I'll reuse the block, heads, covers, etc etc for the 408.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Quik's Lq9 will be forsale soon. just the shortblock
Old 11-18-2006, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Holy **** dude. Just one bad thing after the other. But if you've got the money to blow, just look on the bright side you're gonna have a badass 408!
Old 11-18-2006, 05:29 PM
High on diesel fumes

I'm gonna sell the Radix, so that will give me most of what I need to buy 408 parts. I actually don't think it'll cost me a whole lot out of pocket

Quick Reply: Help me identify my metal shavings!!