Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

help me with my ATI S/C i cant get the power i should be

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me with my ATI S/C i cant get the power i should be

I need to get my boost gauges working then I will know exactly how much boost I am making. But right now I don’t think I am making more then 3-4 psi. of boost

I am just not happy at all right now with the ati in fact I am mad at how it turned out. I almost want to take it all off because I don't think I am making any boost. It almost seems that all my gain cam from my cam and tq.

Some how I am loosing almost all my boost but I just don't get it. It seems that even if I am not making as much boost as I should maybe because of my cam and headers, I should still be making the power. I still can’t turn all the tires over off the line. It really does not even put me back in the seat.

to me I seems that if I had not put in a cam and headers I would make at about 450hp and have about 8psi of boost, but then if I put in a cam and headers I would loose boost but not hp. so it seems that I should have over 500hp with my current setup. But I just can’t make the power that I think I should.

This is the cam I put in
220/226 556/570 114+4
Old 05-21-2005, 10:09 PM
12 Second Truck Club

It's hypothetical until you get a guage on there to see what PSI you're running and what your fuel pressure is at as well as IATs and timing.

Get that data and I'm sure we can help you out. Without it there are simply too many variables.

It'll get better...
Old 05-21-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

The gauges are not working right but I think I know what I could do to make the boost gage work. I think that if I put a hole in the tube right before the throttle body and got my boost reading from there. Right now I have it coming off the little nipple of the passenger side of the motor but all I am getting is vac. But the fuel gage is not working all.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:15 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Hmm, you should be getting a solid reading from the nipple on the intake manifold. If you are getting vac then it's hooked up right. Are you sure that a hose is not collapsing somewhere before the blower? I am not familiar with the main parts of the ATI kit but it sounds like you're not producing boost for some reason. The belt isn't slipping real bad? No noise or belt dust on the pulleys? No leaks in the piping from the blower to the manifold?
Old 05-21-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

but my boost gauge does not show any boost it goes from about 25 vac to about 1 vac at wot

the hose can't be collapsing before the blower because it is PVC pipe with a rubber fitting and the air filter.

i don't think the belt is slipping, there is no noise or dust.

I don't think that i have any leeks but i am going to pull off all the custom tubing and glue all the joints.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:46 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by j4nash
but my boost gauge does not show any boost it goes from about 25 vac to about 1 vac at wot

the hose can't be collapsing before the blower because it is PVC pipe with a rubber fitting and the air filter.

i don't think the belt is slipping, there is no noise or dust.

I don't think that i have any leeks but i am going to pull off all the custom tubing and glue all the joints.
If it is showing vacuum, then the gauge is working. Mine showed 10 lbs from the same connection spot, 4.1 pulley D1 on a 5.3. I would double check your bypass valve. You should actually hear it working when you let off. I just t-eed of of the same spot I used for the boost gauge for my bypass. I dont know if it is possible to install them backwards, I dont think it is. Test you bypass valve, with no vacuum it should stay closed. That would be the main thing to keep you from building boost. Mine really kicked in hard at 3000 rpm.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mzoomora
If it is showing vacuum, then the gauge is working. Mine showed 10 lbs from the same connection spot, 4.1 pulley D1 on a 5.3. I would double check your bypass valve. You should actually hear it working when you let off. I just t-eed of of the same spot I used for the boost gauge for my bypass. I dont know if it is possible to install them backwards, I dont think it is. Test you bypass valve, with no vacuum it should stay closed. That would be the main thing to keep you from building boost. Mine really kicked in hard at 3000 rpm.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing...it's got to be dumping somewhere and you can install the BOV backwards.

Ken
Old 05-22-2005, 12:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don’t know how I could have installed it backwards. From the nipple I have a T fitting one side goes to the boost gauge and the other goes to the blow off valve

Also I don’t have to regular bov that comes with the kit it is the big red one that you can get from procharger.

At idea the BOV is open and at cruse. I can hear it letting air out but when you mash the throttle I can hear is close
Old 05-22-2005, 12:14 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the bypass is closing and is installed in the right direction(some are uni-directional, but if it is backwards the boost may be blowing it open), and the belt is turning, you should be buiding some boost. Unless you have a pretty big leak. Try removing the vacuum line from the bypass valve and raising the rpm some, you should find any leak pretty quick like that.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:26 AM
Staging Lane

Another possibility is you melted one or both of your cats (if you have them installed A friend of mine had his fairly new OBDII Carsound cats do a melt down after installing a bigger cam....also you might want to check your exhaust back pressure...when I bumped up my old 350 engine from 6psi to 8psi I could not feel any change in power unil I upgraded the already installed cat back system to a bigger 4" diesel exhaust....an easy way to check if you have excessive back pressure is at WOT your exhaust note changes from a nice low tone to a rushing note (jet air plane noise)...mine was doing this from 4K rpms on up until I got the bigger exhaust installed.

Best place to install your boost fitting is in the intake manifold to get ture boost pressure...on mine I drill and taped a brass nipple all by itself just for the guage.

Ken

Quick Reply: help me with my ATI S/C i cant get the power i should be