Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Help me out

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 04:07 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help me out

I had a horendous vibration (I think, someone explain what horendous means) in my truck. It shudderd a little when taking off, then smothed out, then when the converter locked up it got REAL bad. The lockup clutch was on its way out and the verter was starting to stall a little high anyway, so I swapped it out. When I dropped the tranny I noticed the tranny mount was a little loose, so I figured the verter, and tranny mount could have been the problem. Well I got it all back together, and while it was lessened, the vibration/shudder was still there. I got to using my great deductive reasonin skilz, and figured it may be a miss, so Fri morning I went and got me some bran new NGK TR55's and grabbed an extra set of stock plug wires I had lying around, and went to a friends house to chang em out.
Welllllllll, I pulled (going off memory, odds on the driverside if I remember right) the odd side (drivers side) plugs, 1 had a small hair line crack in the clear coat on the ceramic. 3 had a spot just above the hex that had an arc burn. 5 had some hair line tracking similar to 1. And the famed 7 had the damn metal piece that bends over the electrode that you set the gap with. Well, it was bent down past the electrode. All the other 7 plugs looked good, slightly dark tan, no noticeable wear etc. but the 7 plug was black (Yea I know from not burning anything Im just trying to give all the info I can think of)
My question is WAHT THE **** caused that electrode sparker thingie to bend. It looks like something smacked it, but what could have smaked it without me noticing ie hearing anything odd?
I got the plugs and wires changed and everything was good. Still had a sliiiight hesitation when leaving a stop, but was figuring that could be from not driving it much (about 1 mile in the past 35 days before Friday) but yesterday I noticed the miss coming back, and getting worse as the day went on. Its still ok with the converter unlocked, but as soon as the verter locks up, it starts missing again.
I understand why it gets worse when the verter locks up, and Im gonna check my plugs again tonight and see what they look like.

Yall fellas give me some opinions.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YOUR TRUCK IS READY TO GO OFF A CLIFF??? YOUR TRUCK IS READY FOR A NEW OWNER???

YOUR TRUCK WOULD **** ON YOU IF IT COUD...... OH WAIT IT DID **** TRANS FLUID ON YOU IF I REMEMBER RIGHT??
Old 08-06-2007, 05:33 PM
12 Second Truck Club

i dont think thats it. im pretty sure this is an engine problem. my flt andi havent gotten into a good pissing match yet.

if it doesnt straighten up, ayone up for a marshmallo roast?
Old 08-06-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by white1
i dont think thats it. im pretty sure this is an engine problem. my flt andi havent gotten into a good pissing match yet.

if it doesnt straighten up, ayone up for a marshmallo roast?

IM THERE... SINCE YOUR TRUCK PROBABLY WOULDNT MAKE IT HERE
Old 08-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Launching!

im just curious of your mods and what octane fuel your using.... and if your using a cold or hot plug?

obviously a stock 2000 z71 isnt going to be running in the 12's
Old 08-07-2007, 12:08 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by erronisme
im just curious of your mods and what octane fuel your using.... and if your using a cold or hot plug?

obviously a stock 2000 z71 isnt going to be running in the 12's

nope, its all stock

really the only thing i have that isnt original gm stuff is the cam, converter, and headers.

i have a lq4, cammed, and stalled, with lt headers. hell i even have a stock muffler from a 4.8 in it
Running stock plug wires even

Last edited by white1; 08-07-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:16 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Oh, I usually run 87 octane. And I run the non iridum factory replacement NGK TR55 plugs