Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Help needed from te "Cam-Gods" (Sloverado??)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTex
01 - ask Fast4.8 (greg) about the cam he had for sale. It was a 212 212 112lsa and .522 lift. The duration is good for your 4.8 and with the rockers, you'll have some big lift. Plus it was a good price for being never installed.
yeah i was talking to greg about that cam but i think he allready sold it when i talked to him at the winter truck meet.
i called comp and they suggested the 212/218 522/529
i even told them i had the 1.85's but this is the cam he recommended but i think its gonna give me a problem with me valve clearance. correct me if im wrong here guys.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Exclamation Dang, nobody got the joke!

Guys, when I titled this post It was not meant for information for SLoverado in particular. I posted that title b/c of the thread I read in the lounge where he was in some mag and someone said he was the "King of Cams" or something like that! It was meant as a good natured joke not a direct question...sorry, newbie mistake...guess I shouldn't lurk as much and become a post-*****!! Anyway, thanks for all the information so far!

Big Tex- The 212 218 115LSA .558 .563 cam you spoke about, would that need springs or anything else changed with it or could I run it on stockers? I do have the predator so I can mess with my shift points, firmess ,etc a little bit but I don't think edit is out for the 2003s yet so I'd have to wait to get a tune. Which, BTW, is on my list as soon as 1) It comes out 2) I can find a reputable tuner somewhere in BFE Kentucky 3) I get some more mods on (cam, headers, etc) Back to the cam: Assuming this is the cam for me: How would towing be with it? idle lope/problems? low end torque power losses? Where would this one "shine" at? Like I said before, I'd really like to get/keep low end and build power through the mid range. While top end power is not too important, I do want to keep power in the upper RPMs so it doesn't fall on its face! Sorry for so many ?s...just wanna make the right choice!!

Ryan
Old 12-31-2003, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

That would be a nice cam to complement those bigger rockers. I would stay away from the more aggresive cams with those big rockers though because you will be bending pushirods and breaking springs since they have a faster ramp rate which is magnified even more with the bigger rockers.

About me running that cam, no I haven't run it. I was recommended that one 1 out of the 3 times I called Comp Cams to see about a new cam for my truck. I remember a couple of guys that had that 212/218 cam put in at about the same time and all liked it and said it pulled even harder when they got it properly tuned.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you get that cam you mentioned ground on a 115, you will have a stock or very similar sounding idle. A 114 will give you a little lope if you have it idled down to about 600 or so. As far as springs go ... With that cam you might could get away with using LS6 springs, but 918's or better would be optimal. It should would prolly hold the same for down low, and bring the mid range up a bit, as well as the top end. It would be a nice mild cam.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks flyer! I'm gonna check $$ on the setup with 918s!
Old 12-31-2003, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tuckerwilliam
thanks flyer! I'm gonna check $$ on the setup with 918s!
It wouldnt be a bad idea to change your pushrods to.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Angry Deeeaaammmmnnn!!

Anyone know where to find a better deal on thse cams than from Comp.? They list them at $469!! I thought they priced them to me for $299 on the phone a few months ago, for all LS1 cams? maybe it was $399..but still $70 difference! F'that right now. I saw on the car classified where dudes were selling Z06 cams, springs, retainers for $100-$150 bucks, what gives besides the high rpm power gains? Do they have zero bottom end or what? For that price a man could do them and an LS6 intake at the same time for less bread!!
Old 12-31-2003, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Anyone know where to find a better deal on thse cams than from Comp.? They list them at $469!! I thought they priced them to me for $299 on the phone a few months ago, for all LS1 cams? maybe it was $399..but still $70 difference! F'that right now. I saw on the car classified where dudes were selling Z06 cams, springs, retainers for $100-$150 bucks, what gives besides the high rpm power gains? Do they have zero bottom end or what? For that price a man could do them and an LS6 intake at the same time for less bread!!
Unless your going to put in a converter, dont go with the zo6 cam. ls1speed has comp cams for 375.00. They also do custom ground cams for the same price.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:34 PM
TECH Veteran

YEah, I know a lot of people swear by them but I have NO DESIRE whatsoever for a stall! I just don't like them for everyday driving and I do some towing and, while there are stalls for towing, I still don't like them except in hot rods! Thanks for the help though!

Umm...have you ever driven a vehicle with a good stall converter? Even a mild 2400-2600 would make a huge difference in the drivability and 0-60 performance. As long as you keep a large diameter (11"-13") it will operate like stock until you hit the gas.

A converter will set you back about the same amount of cash as a cam, rods, springs, and retainers (maybe even less if you look around) but I'd do a stall in a heartbeat before ever considering a cam like a 214/220 .520/.540 114LSA

Mi dos pescos
Old 01-01-2004, 08:05 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom line advice to all considering a cam change....plan on tuning to get the full affects of the cam. I bet most on this site that have changed cams would agree they just didn't feel the big difference on just changing without tuning. I know that the several I have done did not satisfy me untill I got the timing up to 26-28 degrees and AFR level at around 12.75 to 1 at WOT. To accomplish the above you need tuning....LS1edit and a wideband02. One more thing, unless you just want to have lope, leave the durations above 218 and tight LSA's for the lighter cars. Heavy trucks don't like it.

Quick Reply: Help needed from te "Cam-Gods" (Sloverado??)