Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Help! Overheating....

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 05:55 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My fans work just like you described...they only come on high with the ac on, and one comes on high with the ac on and the low fans off (hasn't reached fan on temp). You could wire a second toggle switch in to the high fan wire to have manual high fan operation (I'm thinking of doing this myself). Just be sure to put a diode in the circuit to avoid activating the a/c compressor when you hit the switch since it's a 12v source instead of ground.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thermostat not opening all the way?
Old 08-16-2006, 06:56 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi Killer
When I turn the toggle on, both fans come on low. When I turn the a/c on, the passenger side fan comes on high while the other is still on low. If I don't turn the toggle on and turn the a/c on just the passenger side fan comes on high and the other doesn't turn at all.
Sounds like one of your relays is shot. With the toggle on and the a/c on, both should be on high.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:02 PM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

Originally Posted by Soon2bSpooled
if you put seofoam in your crankcase its going to make your oil even thinner. FYI, most people put the seafoam in then drive around a little but then change the oil, 100 miles should be alright i suppose
Yeah, I know. Good point, tho. I just wanna ensure that I get as much (if any) "crud" that might be building up before I drain. Not going to be run more than 100 miles after I add it. That's why I said...

Originally Posted by 1BADC10
Wanna run about a 100 more, drain, then fill with conventional + STP oil treatment.
Gonna mostly be quick driving while logging WOT runs after 7pm (after work) anyhow. Still have tuning issues to fix.

I hope to be "Ridin' Dirty" before November!
Old 08-16-2006, 09:50 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

you are overheating because of your electirc set up, what should be happening, a/c on and toggle on both HIGH it would be pointless to have 2, 2speed fans when you couldnt get the maximum potential out of both of them at the same time.... i have one of whit1's harnesses with a toggle....
toggle off, a/c off- both off
toggle on, a.c off-both low
toggle off, a/c on-one high
toggle on, a/c on-both high
Old 08-17-2006, 03:33 AM
14 Second Truck Club

I appreciate all of the responses! What should I do? Try to drive down to Futral tomorrow and see if I can get it hooked up to the pcm (4-5 hour drive) or is something wrong with the harness?
Old 08-17-2006, 07:33 AM

should actually be something wrong with the harness, one of your relays
Old 08-17-2006, 09:11 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Swap your relays around and see if the behavior of the fans change. If so, go to Napa and get yourself another good relay (stay away from the cheapo ones that Checker and AutoZone sell) and replace the bad one. Make sure you look for a 40amp relay. If you have a bad one, you'll be able to tell because it will look like some of the plastic right around where the contact goes into the relay is melted.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:30 AM

it also could be a loose wire going to the non-removeable part of the relay
Old 08-17-2006, 08:53 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi Killer
I forgot to mention that I got the other fan fixed. Both fans work. I also got the nelson fan harness that is hooked up to a toogle switch instead of the pcm.

When I turn the toggle on, both fans come on low. When I turn the a/c on, the passenger side fan comes on high while the other is still on low. If I don't turn the toggle on and turn the a/c on just the passenger side fan comes on high and the other doesn't turn at all.

If I was to overnite my pcm to futral and pay to have the pcm turned on and hook up the wire to the pcm, would this turn both fans on high when it gets hot with the nelson fan harness? Would this solve my problem? What about a bigger radiator? Could I still run the same fans? This is driving me crazy!
...whoops, just realized that I mis-read this...both of my fans come on high with the a/c on and the engine in operating temp (pcm turned on like your toggle switch)...sorry about that