Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Help! Pacesetter LT clearance issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Shorty Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are discouraging. What kind of sound are we talking about? I am stuck between running cats or no cats. I just do not want a race car sound out of my work/DD. I for sure do not want drone.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

I waiting for my pacesetters, hopefully next week, Im just worried about how its gonna sound, hopefully not like his...........
Old 11-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Shorty Director

I am basically going to have my buddy put the magnaflow muffler where the stock muffler sits. Since I have a Crew Cab Long Bed Dually the sound should not be that bad even w/out cats if we have the exhaust exit out the same stock spot. The only thing I am worried about now is a drone in the 3 inch midpipe. I already ordered the O2 sims. I dont know how much more tuning I will need post adding the headers over the cam install..
Old 11-14-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is a little clip of my truck that I took not too long ago. If you weld the stock cats into the pacesetter ORY it sounds pretty darn good.

http://brownlures.com/jake/truck.mpg

I don't have any vids with the super 40 hooked up, but this kinda gives you an idea what it sounds like with just cats. I DD the truck like this and it doesn't bother me. A little drone on the highway, but around town it's loud enough

I'll get more vids if yall want me to.

later,
Jake
Old 11-14-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

btw, right click save target as
Old 11-14-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VINCE
I am basically going to have my buddy put the magnaflow muffler where the stock muffler sits. Since I have a Crew Cab Long Bed Dually the sound should not be that bad even w/out cats if we have the exhaust exit out the same stock spot. The only thing I am worried about now is a drone in the 3 inch midpipe. I already ordered the O2 sims. I dont know how much more tuning I will need post adding the headers over the cam install..
Simms - your cats can be tuned out, so there's no need for the O2 simms. If you're getting a custom tune for the cam, tell your tuner that you have LT's and no cats. It's that simple. Put those back up for sale, or return them. It's not an extra cost that you need.

Mid pipes - If you're planning on running 3" duals to your stock muffler position, put in an X-pipe. Magnaflow makes an x-pipe, they equalize the pressure, but the x-pipe is better for flow. This also helps on cutting down the drone. It muffles the echo noise that you get sometimes hear on acceleration (redneck noise.)

IF you do all of that, and you're still not satisfied with the level of noise, then put a set of dyno max bullets in front of the muffler (similar to glass packs, but with baffling). The more packing that the muffler has, the better it will cut down on the noise.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Shorty Director

I had the car tuned post the cam swap. I was misinformed about the headers and the ORY is not for my truck. That is why they did not get installed during the cam install. I dont have time to hunt people down and for some reason my HPT upgrade has not shown up. I will call them on my next day off. I work at night and sleep during the day this week. As for running an X pipe I dont want duals going all the way to the back. I want the truck to have the exact same stock appearance with the stock look.

Originally Posted by Tootall
Simms - your cats can be tuned out, so there's no need for the O2 simms. If you're getting a custom tune for the cam, tell your tuner that you have LT's and no cats. It's that simple. Put those back up for sale, or return them. It's not an extra cost that you need.

Mid pipes - If you're planning on running 3" duals to your stock muffler position, put in an X-pipe. Magnaflow makes an x-pipe, they equalize the pressure, but the x-pipe is better for flow. This also helps on cutting down the drone. It muffles the echo noise that you get sometimes hear on acceleration (redneck noise.)

IF you do all of that, and you're still not satisfied with the level of noise, then put a set of dyno max bullets in front of the muffler (similar to glass packs, but with baffling). The more packing that the muffler has, the better it will cut down on the noise.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

Those of you with pacesetters, did you block the egr or did you hook it back up? Mine still isn't hooked up, but I'm not throwing any codes so maybe I should just block it off?
Old 11-16-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

block it off, EGR is just a huge PITA
Old 11-22-2007, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Okay, I have a massive exhaust leak and I just figured out why. I only have 4 bolts on each side of the headers. I only took 4 bolts off the stock ones though...........? ????

When I took off the stock headers, they only had four bolts on each side. The two outer bolts on each side were missing or were just never there in the first place. There are what looks like holes for bolts in the side of the head but the bolts just spin, they don't actually screw in.

Help, WTF! Are the heads on a 99 Gen III different from all the rest with only 4 four header bolts instead of 6? There are holes, but the bolts dont screw in. I need help, the leak is driving me crazy.

Quick Reply: Help! Pacesetter LT clearance issue