Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

!!! Help this is stumping everone

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE!!! starts!!!! cam retard was off a bit so loosened the dist. and turned it as it ran. got it damn close. but it runs. soooo happy. but, i am kinda weary of driving it places and such... so alas... boobies will have to wait. good thing the car show happens every other sunday. so i will definately post pics of the car show. heres what im talking about...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2588/...7568dbcdce.jpg
Old 06-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Launching!

so i woke up this morning to the house next to me getting siding put on, no wonder i was dreaming of roofing. well, i get up, throw the contacts in, and get my dirt shirt on, go to start the truck make sure she drives, there's a big box at my door! GIGGITY!!! after a month my headers came in!!! so pretty and ready for some action! best part, drove my truck around the block twice. i miss her soooo much. i honked the horn once or twice... because the car ive been driving the horn blew out... she idles kinda rough, i don't feel any misfire anymore. i believe the cam retard offset just needs to be dialed in and its being done today, then its wash, wax and planning for the hydro boost conversion, new brake lines, and headers. thank you everyone for helping me out. now just be ready for more questions regarding exhaust and cats. giggity. oh, and will post pics of car show with my truck when i go. definitely. that's a mission all on its own.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Launching!

Ok, so i got some more problems. i got her timed. then she was all crazy like and lacked a lot of power, and my brakes were like sponges in a lake. turns out egr valve was put on backwards... my bad. so now, i fixed that and it idles kinda rough. it revs nice, sounds good. but then you take it off the throttle and it chokes a bit, stumbles then regains idle. i tried hot lashing but that got me oily, and i nearly cut the bottom of my middle finger off, like, its 3/4 cut through, same finger i smashed the door on, and cut above the nail. anyhoo. what in gods name is this engine doing? before i had it tuned, i drove it, and it drove fairly nice. now, since its been timed correctly and it dont throw any codes, its idling funky, and i have yet to put it into drive and feel its drivability. this is hard to do alone, i dont have really anyone that can come over when im working on this that knows their stuff. so if you have any ideas please chime in. i thought i was soooo close, only to be again cut short. so come on guys, what are some ideas?
Also, I changed my rocker arms for these, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-C...Q5fAccessories and just now realized the ones i have are not self aligning. i ordered self aligning but just now i realized two years ago they sent the wrong ones. well, then im guessing I need to install guide plates yea? because i realized that these rockers have a hard time staying aligned. aw crap...

Last edited by cams 98 silverado; 06-16-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:00 PM
Launching!

I guess an update is available. BUdhayes, i wont be able to make it to any car show soon. so sorry no pics for a while. I have just got done swapping rockers, and got it all good and lashed, then started right up, but then boom, that lovely p0305 code came up. yes. after literally 3 weeks of working on it and pouring my pay checks into it, im back to square one. The only thing that is weird, is that today when i put it into drive, it was kinda hard idling, worse than before. and i had taken the cover off, and realized that I forgot to tighten the set screws on the rockers, so i again made sure lash was perfect, and buttoned everything up, started and same thing. only, at around 2500 rpm, i do hear tapping, i am almost wondering if its a cam lobe that got wiped. those valves are lashed. and im just so sad right now, because this is my whole summer vacation from school. working on this thing. i have so much more i have to do still but its been put off because of this. and i really need some help. how would i know if its a bad cam lobe? how do i test this? and if i had some valve burn on that cylinder, wouldnt my static compression be low then? seeing as burn would limit how well the valve sealed? if its a cam, id actually be happy because then id put in a lt4 hot cam. but i need some help. anyone got ideas?
Old 07-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Launching!

OKAY! so smoe updates. I popped a stock cam in, got it all back together, it felt much better. the timing was a wee off so drove it to get it timed, then guy drove it, and it set a code. p0305. after i almost punched my window out, I bought a vacuum gauge, and checked vacuum so i could see if i got a burned valve, sticking valve or leaking something. well to my luck, my vacuum is perfect. right at 19 in. blip throttle it behaves like it should. needles does not jump around, doesnt jitter or anything. it doesnt even show me that i have a misfire. but my motor vibrates and I can see its laggin some. I was driving, and the light went off, it feels so much better, its still missing a hair of power, i can tell, but so much better since before the cam. But, what i was leaning to now is carbon build up. heres why. for 2 straight years, I used speedway gas. one day i was told use shell, and i did not think it was different between companies until i hit the gas and i felt a difference. so, I am guessing i had a lot of buildup on the intake valve, and its blocking my air. lots of research tells me that low running compression means air did not get in. the first remedy is carbon buildup remover. the next was cam lobe, rocker or lifter. well, i did lifer, and cam. I have not bought new rockers. i will swap rockers see if it moves misfires. but that code is not on. but i feel the shakes. so, what do you think? vacuum is saying mechanically the motor runs fine, new cam, lifers, gaskets, pushrods. when i had my roller tip rockers on though it was not throwing misfire codes, just egr code because i had it backwards. so. i need your help guys. school is starting soon, emissions is coming up this august. and my parents are starting to kick me because we are getting a new driveway. which hopefully means i get another car/motorcycle/both lol. im addicted to power.