Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Help, torque spec for pinion yoke, how tight should this be?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, torque spec for pinion yoke, how tight should this be?

I replaced the pinion yoke to a larger one on the back, but how tight should this be? I got it right now so that you can feel that it can move back and forth a little on the ring gear. I know you need a little bit of play to make up for frictional losses, and to leave room for expansion from heat buildup.

Come on, someone should know about this?!
Old 09-16-2003, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: Help, torque spec for pinion yoke, how tight should this be?

I'll try to help. If you are talking about the pinion shaft loc screw, it's 25 ftlbs.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:11 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced the pinion yoke to a larger one on the back, but how tight should this be? I got it right now so that you can feel that it can move back and forth a little on the ring gear. I know you need a little bit of play to make up for frictional losses, and to leave room for expansion from heat buildup.

Come on, someone should know about this?!
hodgeee...if you didn't scribe a mark on the pinion nut and count turns while removing this is what you are gonna have to do:
pull the axles and the ring gear carrier, hold the yoke and tighten the nut to get a proper pinion bearing preload of approx. 15 inch lbs. to maintain constant rotation. You have to be careful not to overtighten. Stop and check every little bit you tighten after the front to rear play is gone. This is hard to do and if you don't have the proper tools it's almost impossible.

Old 09-17-2003, 02:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey thanks for the info. I wish I gotten hold of you earlier. I went and bought a GMC reapair manual from the dealership $75.00. It states 18 to 20 in/lbs in constant rotation, with axles and ring gear carrier in place and wheels removed. Also its states 14 to 15 in/lbs when just the pinion is installed. So you don't have to dissassemble the rear end. I did mark the parts, but was told that with the new pinion, it is not going to be the same thickness so that is not a safe way to retighten the yoke, unless its the original yoke.

I called three driveline shops, and no one would tell me how much to tighten it, they all said for $65 to bring the truck down, and they would do it. Too much money in my book considering the towing fee, and now I have a repair manual for the future.

Luckily I have all the tools needed, but now I know that I don't have to take the rear end apart! Thanks again for the information.