Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

HELP!..Truck stalling and low idle, running like chit

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!..Truck stalling and low idle, running like chit

Hey guys my truck is running horrible...it just started acting up today...when I start it, it barly runs almost stalling...the tach will go all the way down to about 200 then go up to about 400-500 and stay there...when I first start it I have to use the throttle to keep it from stalling like I have a cam or something...about 2 years ago it would do this but only when it was warm or operating temperature and I shut the truck off and tried to restart it...I had the fuel press. regulator changed and it was fine...

about 2500 miles ago I changed plugs, wires, fuel filter and sea foamed to motor so do you guys have any idea what maybe wrong...do coil packs go bad???...I used these plugs that have the 4 electrodes...could they be it???...any ideas appricated!!!
Old 03-02-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any codes??? Check Engine Light??? There is a reprogram available for that year model truck to help low idle surging condition... Might help if your clean the throttle body too.. Does it feel like it's missing??? And I've never been a fan of those plugs either...
Old 03-02-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

duh my bad...I totally forgot...yes the ses light is one...it has been on for sometime and my friend scanned it and said it was an evap leak I believe...I'll try to have him scan it again but if I remember correctly it was code 440...not sure but I changed my gas cap and that worked for like a week then it came back on...

I cleaned the throttle body last oil change and it does feel like its missing...that was my concern with the coil packs...I have true dual exhaust and you can def. hear a funny change in exhaust note...when Im driving the truck it seems to run fine...no power loss or anything...

what are the details on the reprogramming?...do you just go to the dealership???...how much?...I have a 2002 PCM but its not installed yet...my friend has it and hes about 4 hours away so one weekend we are going to install it and he has HP tuner and hopefully that should help also...I until then I may consider having the stocker reprogrammed for a cheap price...

Ill try and get it scanned asap...
Old 03-02-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

any dealership can reprogram it... It helps out with low idle surging.. But I'm not sure thats your problem. I would check the codes first..
Old 03-02-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok...I have it scanned hopefully tomorrow and call a dealership about reprogramming the PCM...it had surging issues before this but not bad like this...
Old 03-03-2008, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok guys I just had it scanned at auto zone(which was a joke!) and he got PO300 radom misfire...he told me to just tune it up and walked away but I just put new wires, plugs and the whole 9 yards so Im kinda puzzled...

My only thing is I got the 4 electrode plugs and Im wondering if those may be it...lemme know whatcha guys think!
Old 03-03-2008, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

have you cleaned your MAF? check and MAKE SURE none of your plugs are cracked, and wires are on correctly (hear them click when installing)
Old 03-03-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Might be the intake gasket leaking too.. Does it seem to do it on cold starts??
Old 03-04-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

wonder if the MAF could be taking a dump. On 'untuned' vehicles they'll run like *** down low and surge at cruise with the MAF messed up
Old 03-04-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know this doesnt account for the missing but did you get gas before this all started? My truck for a while would barely fire up and almost die on start up and sometimes it would die. I changed everything from the fuel pump to checking for manifold leaks and come to find out by chance that it was the cheap *** walmart gas i was putting in my truck. I had to fill up at a shel on the way home from a trip and the problem stopped instantly and to check i filled up one last time from walmart and it did it again..Never Never again. Shell or Chevron and thast it for me..Just a thought.

Quick Reply: HELP!..Truck stalling and low idle, running like chit