Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Help! Where is my coolant going?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Where is my coolant going?

Just got my truck running good after swapping injectors to 8.1L because my stock one on the #7 must have took a ****.

Now I have coolant missing, but I don't think it's being burned up it's leaking out somehow. I can top of the water and after a day of driving my low coolant light is on and the truck is running 5-15 degrees hotter then usual. The air coming out of the AC vents smells like coolant, and the AC system itself is producing much more condensation while operating then usual. Then when I turn my truck off within about 15 minutes there is a pretty large puddle of water underneath it.

I can't figure out where the leak is coming from Every single hose/fitting I've checked is good and leak free. Any ideas on this???? BTW, there's 127,000 miles on the truck....
Old 07-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

sounds like it may be your heater core. check the passenger side floor board for dampness.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Launching!

I've checked... It's not it, heater works good still and the floorboard is dry...
Old 07-02-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water pump gaskets are pretty common on these engine for leaking.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where is the puddle under the truck? front of the engine? if so, there is a weep hole in the waterpump that will pee a stream of water while it is running, and seep out when the truck is parked.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you smell coolant when the a/c is running, the heater core is bad. you probably don't see a leak in the cab because it's too small yet.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Launching!

It was the heater core. There's no coolant inside the cab, it all comes out of a small drip hose underneath the AV evaporator...
For the time being I just bypassed the heater core entirely, July in TX I don't think I'll miss it that much...

Thanks guys...
Old 07-15-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guys, I'm having similar problems. But, can't see a coolant loss or leak. My "low coolant" light has come on about 8 times in 2 days. I think I can smell coolant through my a/c, because my left eye and nostril is burning after driving. I let my truck sit for a day and see no signs of leaking and the reservoir is full to the cold mark. I read the post above and checked for water in the carpet and nothing. Should I bypass my heater core and go from there?
Old 07-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by brodystruck
I've checked... It's not it, heater works good still and the floorboard is dry...
the heater core will still work just fine but the heater core has a drain on it so the cab wont get any in it depending on how fast its leaking depends on if you see the drips underneath the truck. but thats the only way i think you will smell the coolant i think unless its leaking in to your air condition air way....
Old 07-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Onyx 02
Guys, I'm having similar problems. But, can't see a coolant loss or leak. My "low coolant" light has come on about 8 times in 2 days. I think I can smell coolant through my a/c, because my left eye and nostril is burning after driving. I let my truck sit for a day and see no signs of leaking and the reservoir is full to the cold mark. I read the post above and checked for water in the carpet and nothing. Should I bypass my heater core and go from there?
Yeah bypass your heater core and go from there... I think it's your heater core personally...

Quick Reply: Help! Where is my coolant going?