Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Here We Go Again With The Flex VSC Failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Here We Go Again With The Flex VSC Failure

I have the newer 40 AMP version and only have a month or so on it and it has failed.
The fuse is OK, I have power on the ignition wire and a hot signal when the AC comp kicks in, and even with the AC off it will not run the fans when the coolant gets hot!
Arrrrrgh! !@#$%^&* it all! Their VSC is like perfume on a PIG!!
Nice fans but...........

I'll jump it out and be on the phone Monday for sure! JEEEESH!
Old 06-20-2004, 05:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are most helpful in swapping failed controllers. David Huetmaker is the person I spoke with there...
Old 06-20-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Ya, I don't know about these little black boxes? They seem kinda hokey to me. Mine doesn't come on when the temp goes up either. It only comes on when the AC is on. Luckily I NEVER drive with the AC off (its over 100* here), but come winter I will.

I spoke with Dave, he seems like a straight shooter, but I emailed Flex, last Wednesday and they still haven't replied. I don't know?
Old 06-20-2004, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Upon further investigation

It is the fuse holder. The dreaded melt down has raised it's ugly head to into the newer model! It cooked the down stream side socket plastic and some of the plastic on the fuse body. I had to filet it and dig out crap and got it to work for now. I suggest peeling off all the soft rubber (easy to do w\rasor knife) and let it get some air.
Somthing has gotta give!
Old 06-20-2004, 06:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Ah! My fuseholder took a **** also. Here's what I did...

Upgrade all the power and ground wire to 10awg. From batt to VSC and from VSC to fans. I could not for my life find a 10awg fuse holder that held Maxi fuses here. I purchased a inline holder from a local stereo place that holds 8awg car audio cable. The 10awg fit in there fine. It's been like that for a good amount of time now (few weeks) and my Pops still drives the truck a lot and leaves it running for 10-15min at a time with the A/C on here in Texas. So it's stress tested for sure.

12awg wire is too small. It melted twice on me before I went to 10awg wire, it's been great with the 10. Also I had 10awg wire with a 12awg fuse holder spliced in...that melted on me. The 10awg wiring was fine aside from the 12awg piece w/ the fuse. That's when I decided to go find that audio fuse holder.

vanillagorilla - how'd you get that 'Hoe rear sway on your truck?
Old 06-20-2004, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Mine came with 10 awg wire.

And a huge 40 amp fuse holder.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Odd that it would go up in smoke like that.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Called Flex Today

They said even though I have the newer VSC I could have got an older version of the fuse holder.
He said the mfg process crimps the fuse female spade recievers on and then molds the plastic body around it, then the rubber sleave and cover is slipped on. This is where they have had trouble, getting hot plastic into the spade receivers taking up contact area causing heat issues.
I have one in the air.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

But the good thing is, the VSC itself is fine. Hell, even my 25A ones were okay...but I had them upgraded for free! FAL, was super cool about that.

The wiring wasn't the problem when my fuse melted down, the fuse holder itself was. I didn't want another to melt on me, so I went with the larger car audio fuse holder. I don't see how that's going to melt as it can take fuses to like 80A!
Old 06-21-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Pic Of The Fuse Holder

Flex-a-Lite Burnt 40 AMP Fuse Holder

Quick Reply: Here We Go Again With The Flex VSC Failure