Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Hey Blown

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport Side
The higher (numerically) placed ICL allows BC to shift in the 6000+ range with only 207* of duration @ .05'' on the intake side.

To maintain RPM, as .05'' decreases, the ICL needs to be raised. This extends your intake closing point.

I'm guessing this camshaft wasn't based on a 'truck' platform...

What are you suggesting for a radix truck that will max HP at or near 6K?,And idle smooth and have a duration under 210
Old 12-22-2005, 11:30 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The higher (numerically) placed ICL allows BC to shift in the 6000+ range with only 207* of duration @ .05'' on the intake side.

To maintain RPM, as .05'' decreases, the ICL needs to be raised. This extends your intake closing point.

I'm guessing this camshaft wasn't based on a 'truck' platform...

That is pretty much how it was explained to me....I was not too worried about the loss of a few ft pounds on the bottom end.....The blower takes care of that. This cam was orig made for the LS1 corvette.

Here is the graph, this was backed up on a few other dynos and was within 10-12 rwhp on each one:

Old 12-22-2005, 11:36 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotta love a radix tq curve err uh table top that is
Old 12-22-2005, 11:53 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it looks as if your hp/tq take a nose dive at 6200 or so. Why shift at 6500?
Old 12-23-2005, 12:08 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most likely where they let out at only thing that will cause that sharp a drop off is either a blown motor, lose a d-shaft or let off the gas.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BlownChevy,

Do you have a graph of your setup before the cam?

Thanks.

-----

Gonzo,

This may go against traditional thinking but, I keep this in mind when I give thought to blower cams despite the fact that he is discussing 'high boost' applications.

If you put a blower on a stock motor, it still makes more power, right? Even though you didn't increase the size of the exhaust lobe. How can you get more in if you didn't get more out? The answer is simple... since you had more cylinder pressure, the greater pressure difference across the exhaust port allowed more exhaust to flow through the port, even without more cam or port. To optimize this requires only a small change in the exhaust side of the motor to match the boost levels you are using. Since these engines are too heavily exhaust biased to begin with, my recommendations for a blower cam come out looking like straight pattern cams.
When you pressurize the intake to two atmospheres, the column of air in the runner now has twice the density; therefore it has twice the mass. This means it is actually harder to accelerate it toward the cylinder. Proper exhaust scavenge during overlap is still beneficial filling the cylinder, even with forced induction. The motor still needs adequate overlap to fill the cylinder effectively.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Look @ that torque!!! Its everywhere,Its, everywhere,Its everywhere!!! Dang, I bet that joker is fun to drive.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Don't you have aftermarket heads tho Blown???
Old 12-23-2005, 08:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it looks as if your hp/tq take a nose dive at 6200 or so. Why shift at 6500?

that's about where he stopped the dyno. the number will stay pretty flat yet to 6500 if he'd kept going with only a small amount of loss shown.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

BlownChevy,

Do you have a graph of your setup before the cam?

Thanks.

-----

Gonzo,

This may go against traditional thinking but, I keep this in mind when I give thought to blower cams despite the fact that he is discussing 'high boost'

applications.

This is the kind of answer an attorney would give.You came across as an authority on cams and LC.I wanted to know what you thought would be a better cam spec than the GT2-3 for the radix and why.

Quick Reply: Hey Blown