Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

High Flow Cats

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Flow Cats

Guys. Starting to re-think my exhaust setup a little bit, and instead of using the stock cats with my ASM's, thinking I might want to opt for a good set of aftermarket or high flow cats. Don't really know much about them in a sense of what is needed to replace them, Spec wise anyways.

I know a lot of places make and sell aftermarket cats, but that doesn't necessarily make them good performance or high flow cats. I don't want to spend an *** load of money on 2 cats, but I want a good set too. Any idea or suggestions of some cats that will be a good high flow unit, but will work with retaining my cats and O2's and all that crap?
Old 05-10-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Veteran

I saw this link on Ebay for some cats, but I'm kinda leary the price seems too cheap to be a high flow, but the design is much like the dynatech powercats and magnaflow cats like moregrip is using.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-10-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Random technologies, best hi flow cats, but for 240 bucks each, I dunno if you will want to get them, magnaflow's high flow cats I hear is good too, but I hear that after a few thousand miles, they start to rattle and fall apart
Old 05-10-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Regular

The owner of a the local muffler shop sales high flow cats (don't remember the brand) he told me that they (are any other brand of high flow cats) are not worth the money because they don't flow any better than the stock cats. He went on to say if you want more power and better exhaust flow that I should get rid of the cats all together then winking said "I didn't tell you that."

I read elsewhere that some brands of high flow cats do flow a little better but still not worth the money and only people who live where they are strick about emissions should use these.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Junkie

The stock cats flow very well on the nbs trucks.You exhaust guy is right.Its not worth the money to go buy replacement cats simply because the stockers flow well already.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

im thinking about 3'' cats because right now im using stock 2.5'' cats and they're coming from the 3'' pacesetter collectors which doesnt seem logical.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:05 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had the magnas on my truck for 40K no problems but I could tell a diff when I cut them off. Just dont put cats on it Curtis or put cutouts before the cats.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, I am definitely going to use cats. I just don't want the hassle of not having them. I'm sure going catless would be beneficial for more power and better times, but its just not something I want to do. That being said, I guess I'll just use the extra set of stock cats I have laying around and do a custom y-pipe using them that doesn't have all the crush bends and the crushed pipe running at the transmission crossover.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:20 AM
TECH Addict

If I remember right, CHP gained something like 10 hp and torque from a new Magnaflow y-pipe on their Red Dog project. Made me think about buying one and modding it to fit with ASMs. I have no idea how much they cost though.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, I thought about that too T, but I think that magna y-pipe is about 400 bucks. My only other option would be to cut the cats open, gut them out, weld a pipe in the center of it, and slap them on. That would at least be enough to pass a visual. lol.

But really, I would prefer to run cats on the truck, even if they are a little restrictive.

Quick Reply: High Flow Cats