Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

High perf wires with headers???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question High perf wires with headers???

On a 2000 LS-1 5.3, Borla's headers are made to fit with factory wires, and JBA's wires are made to fit with factory manifolds, but the two do not play. Given the extra inch or so that these wires have over stock wires, I'd speculate that they won't fit with just about *any* headers, but that's just a theory. Fact is, they don't work with Borla headers at all. Even the factory wires have to be fanagled a little bit to keep them off the headers. What I'm wondering is, have any of you found a set of 8mm or larger wires that fit with headers installed - particularly Borla headers?
Old 09-03-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have Thundervolt50 wires with my TOG headers. Everything fits fine.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:53 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MSD 8.5's with Gibson shorties...just had to rotate the coil side wire connector counter-clockwise 90*, fits no prob.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel your pain. I had MSD 8.5mm on the truck until I installed the SuperMaxx. The MSD boots were too long and laid upon each primary. Not to mention that the wires themselves were already more than an inch longer than the stock wires. So I bought a new stock set of wires. #5 and #7 still had some interference problems (the installation instructions actually note this). So I found some bolts and fabricated some brackets to hold them off the pipes.
Attached Thumbnails High perf wires with headers???-bracket_wire-5.jpg   High perf wires with headers???-bracket_wire-7.jpg  
Old 09-03-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey budhayes3 got any pics of the shorties with the MSD wires?
Old 09-03-2004, 11:37 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chevymec
Hey budhayes3 got any pics of the shorties with the MSD wires?
Gotta work on that...have a bunch of pics I need to take. Just got a disposable digital camera...hopefully soon.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:58 AM
Teching In

You actually had to fabricate BRACKETS?!? DUDE! You'd think that somebody would make a set of wires that's molded so it can be easily compatible with headers...
Old 09-04-2004, 10:23 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

im also running the taylor thundervolts with my asm's. i switched to then due to clearance problems.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by buktseat
You actually had to fabricate BRACKETS?!? DUDE! You'd think that somebody would make a set of wires that's molded so it can be easily compatible with headers...
The stock wires work with the headers. It's just the way the #3 primary is 'sculptured'. It does a loop up and around the #5 (see attached picture), thus causing the interference.

Dynatech is aware of this interference that it causes with the #5 adn #7 wires! What burns my butt is that they are aware, and for the price you pay for the SuperMaxx, you would think these would be pieces they would supply.

The brackets were nothing more than aluminum sheet that I bent to shape. Thank goodness for those accessory holes for the bolts.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I just got my MSD 8.5mm on and the only problem was that the #5 wire hit the steering shaft. Easily fixed by putting a sparkplug seperator on the #5 and #7 wire.

Quick Reply: High perf wires with headers???