Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Holy Fk I am so Fked Thanks Diablo Sport Predator!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 06:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diablo fried my PCM what do I do?

I was dickin around with the Predator, I went into the troubleshooting section and for some god forsaken reason I clicked on one of the choices. It started doing **** and created a Performance file or something (I don't remember what it does exactly, ITS NOWHERE IN THE MANUAL!). It freaked me out cuz it said it was clearing the tools memory.

So I went apeshit and freaked out and restored the saved data (cause I was scared shitless that I had erased the factory tune). Ok that worked, and the truck started up (with what tune in it, I do not know). Ok all is well I thought. Being an *** though I decided to restore the saved data again to see if it would. It did, I don't know if thats what fucked it up, If it did then why does it let you just install a tune over a tune over a tune. THERE ARE NO FAILSAFES!

Anyway I went back into "tune it" with the intention of installing the performance tune. I viewed the parameters just to see that they were all ok, but they were all fucked up! rpm limits were like at 12000 on some and the gear ratio was 6.82, the shift points were at like 200mph too! Ok, fine (I thought), I'll install the tune and then modify the parameters to some normal fking levels.

As I was installing the performance tune a fking error popped up, I can't remember which one was first but there was a checksum error a writing error and some other ****.

For the second time (I guess I didn't learn my lesson the first time I freaked out) I knew I was totally fked.

Now the truck doesn't start.

Whatever, I deserve it for being such a dumbfk and buying one of those pieces of ****. Problem is though that I bought it before you guys started to tell the horror stories.

Can anyone tell me though what killed the pcm if indeed it is dead? Was it my fking around with the troubleshooting section or was it cuz I tried to flash the computer like 3 or 4 times in fifteen minutes.

I'm pretty sure I'm fked though, but if the Predator can't recognize my truck then that must mean my pcm is fried right? I'm hoping I can take it to the dealer and get this **** fixed. My truck is under an extended warranty.

Besides all that fking nightmare though, If I get this **** fixed and my Dad doesn't murder me then what can I do about programming? I don't have $700 for a custom tune from Nelsons or Westers or whoever else and since I'm still under warranty I can't risk losing such a valuable tune whenever I take it in for servicing.

I don't have a laptop and a shitload of cash for LS1Edit and Atap and all that.

So what are my options. Hypertech?, SPE Proflash?, Superchips?, or should I be looking at something else?

Would maybe a used Hypertech be my best bet? Has anyone fked up their vehicles using the Hypertech?
Old 02-12-2004, 08:42 PM
Mortgage Banker Mod

Man, that sucks. I'm sorry you had to drop so many f-bombs though.

I bought a used HPP3 for $175 shipped and I LOVE it, it works on my 2003 S10 4.3 and also our 2003 Yukon. Clears DTC's too!
Old 02-12-2004, 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

tune from nelsons would cost you the same amount as a new HPPIII or likewise.
check him out
www.nelsonperformance.com
if i recall it was some like 4??.00 for a 2003

Or check him out on www.ls1truck.com look for Farmtruc.
That is Allen, owner of Nelson Performance.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

group buy going on for Wester's from Tbryne motorsports, only on till febuary 20th!!!
Old 02-12-2004, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

While I agree that the Predator leaves something to be desired, the blame is on you and not the product. Simply put, you went into a section not covered in the owner's manual and is covered by the disclaimer. I've had pretty good luck with mine. But, it won't install the stock tune back. I'm going to have to have mine reflashed before I can get Edit on the PCM. I'll mess with it a little more, but yea, it pisses me off to. A Westers or Nelson Tune would be the way to go if you don't have the cash for a LS1Edit setup with a laptop. Good luck, and if your pissed with Predator, stay away from Superchips IMO.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:31 AM
Launching!

So whos is better, Nelsons or Westers? Do they send me a new PCM that is programmed or do I have to send them my PCM (which is probably junk)? If so, how the heck would that work? What do people do if they have to send in their PCM? Sit at home and wait?

Also, can anyone give me a scenario of what I could do when I might have to take my truck in for servicing? What if they flash it? Or what if they give me a big stink about the PCM being modified?

Sorry about all the fk this and fk that too. I am so fking depressed right now though.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:33 AM
Launching!

I feel like such a dumbass too. I bet you guys are like, "look at this *******, been there, done that"

One more question, could overheating have killed it or does that not generally happen. I've got to make sure this doesn't happen again, ...ever.

...wait, got another question. The PCM is the black box bolted to the firewall on the drivers side with the two cables plugged into it right? Just wondering, is there any way I can really really make sure that lil btch is dead for good so the dealer can't read it? A large magnet maybe?
Old 02-13-2004, 12:49 AM
Launching!

Or, you know what, I may be able to get my hands on a laptop. (Either a major computer upgrade or a laptop). Maybe I shouldn't even waste my time screwin around with lame *** handhelds.

How much is LS1 Edit, and AutoTap, -these are what I need right, what else do I need and about how much might they cost?
One question. If and when I get my truck fixed, is it easy to program the speedometer for a gear change with ls1edit without having to learn the whole program? (so at least my speedometer can work while I learn the program and log data) ...and for @ssholes like me, is there maybe a command in ls1 edit that can return everything to stock parameters if I were to mess something up?

Another question. If I can't get LS1Edit, then I'm wondering, are the other programmers as dangerous as the Predator is as far as wiping out their PCMs?
Old 02-13-2004, 05:53 AM
14 Second Truck Club

well i'll answer your nelson question. you'll get ahold of him however you choose. then after you decide to buy his tune, he'll first send you the PCM, so there is no down time for you. but since your truck wont start anyway, i guess you will have a down time.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:38 AM
Launching!

Take it to the Dealer or Tow it tell them you got in it and it would not Crank..they will Flash it if it dont take they will Probaly Reload it or Replace the PCM if thats what it Takes. Just Dont Give them any Ammo to use Against ya....As Far as LS1EDIT...from what i know i dont think any one Should just pick it up and Start Playing with it..It has no Fail Safes that i know of...I have a HTPP3 and i like it i know its not the best But a Blown Trans put me in the Hole so Nelson tuning will half to Wait i know what is like and how ya feel Try Roasting a $2,700 Trans at 55,000 miles just take your time and it will all be good as new......Andrew

Quick Reply: Holy Fk I am so Fked Thanks Diablo Sport Predator!