Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Home Depot'd my CAI and dropped my IAT 20 degrees!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 09:23 PM
11.0 Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I've seen engines overheat because the t-stat was removed...what happens is you remove a restriction that's figured into the cooling system design, and coolant is now flowing faster than it used to, and it doesn't get a chance to be in the radiator long enough for it to be cooled off. Not saying that it happens every time, but it is a possibility under the right conditions.

The CAI set up looks effective though :thumbs:
LOL at people believing that water has to sit in the radiator to cool off.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
The water does have to be in the radiator for more than 10 seconds to cool off though....the coolant will not cool off by flowing through the raditor in a rapid rate under certain conditions.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:47 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's where the largest heat transfer in the cooling system occurs

Not to mention that I've known a few guys in the past who have removed their t-stats, thinking it would be a performance gain, just to have their cars/trucks overheat....coincidence?

Last edited by budhayes3; 05-31-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It sounds like removing the thermostat is analogous to endotoxic shock causing a high output heart failure. lol.

Bud, this is the first time I've seen you confrontational in a post! Congrats! Make sure those eyeballs don't roll back into your head
Old 05-31-2009, 10:01 PM
11.0 Moderator

Originally Posted by sonoma43
The water does have to be in the radiator for more than 10 seconds to cool off though....the coolant will not cool off by flowing through the raditor in a rapid rate under certain conditions.
Come on man, 10 seconds? So does the air going through the radiator have to pass by it slow so it can pull the heat out of it? LOL.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:04 PM
11.0 Moderator

That's where the largest heat transfer in the cooling system occurs

Not to mention that I've known a few guys in the past who have removed their t-stats, thinking it would be a performance gain, just to have their cars/trucks overheat....coincidence?
I'm sure you knowing a few guys trumps me personally doing this to some of the cars I've worked on (including my own) and them all running cooler. Is this a great idea for all cars? Nope. But it's worked in the cars i've done it to that had cooling problems.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:11 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Come on man, 10 seconds? So does the air going through the radiator have to pass by it slow so it can pull the heat out of it? LOL.
Air is a gas and has different physical properties than engine coolant...my best guess. I just know from 1 guy with a mid 80's Caprice (305 sbc), 1 66 Mustang, straight six, and a few other sbc's that I've seen, removing the t-stat=radiator overflow boiling over, steam under hood, and temp gauge pinned.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:13 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

I'm sure you knowing a few guys trumps me personally doing this to some of the cars I've worked on (including my own) and them all running cooler. Is this a great idea for all cars? Nope. But it's worked in the cars i've done it to that had cooling problems.
I did it to my own 71 Camaro when I had overheating problems...it got me through until I fixed the actual problem. Like you said, it's different for different vehicles with different cooling systems...if it works for you, go with it
Old 05-31-2009, 10:21 PM
How do I change this text

I've seen engines overheat because the t-stat was removed...what happens is you remove a restriction that's figured into the cooling system design, and coolant is now flowing faster than it used to, and it doesn't get a chance to be in the radiator long enough for it to be cooled off. Not saying that it happens every time, but it is a possibility under the right conditions.

The CAI set up looks effective though :thumbs:

100%, correct might not effect everyone in every weather condition...
Old 05-31-2009, 10:27 PM
11.0 Moderator

I did it to my own 71 Camaro when I had overheating problems...it got me through until I fixed the actual problem. Like you said, it's different for different vehicles with different cooling systems...if it works for you, go with it
Yeah i like to try stuff out for myself. I find you learn a lot more that way.

Quick Reply: Home Depot'd my CAI and dropped my IAT 20 degrees!