Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

HOMEMADE Tow Hook Scoops Pics Part-3 w/ How-To write up (56k suffer)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1TRUCKGUY
i have been toying with the idea to make a cold air scoop in the fog light hole. i am going to try this tomorrow. off to lowes in the morning!! btw, how did that other air lid project of yours turn out? i bet that your g/f was pissed when she found her good pyrex measuring cup in the garage ruined
The air lid project is done, I have not installed any of it yet cause I am going to finish these tow hook scoops and fab up some pipes for those and cut a hole in the stock air box. Then try it all out at once. I don't know if it will even make a difference. My truck is slow and I am cool with that, I just like making stuff, since I really can't work on my mustang for awhile.

The Pyrex measuring cup, well..... She really does not care, she is really cool as long as I replace it, maybe.....
Old 11-19-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
The air lid project is done, I have not installed any of it yet cause I am going to finish these tow hook scoops and fab up some pipes for those and cut a hole in the stock air box. Then try it all out at once. I don't know if it will even make a difference. My truck is slow and I am cool with that, I just like making stuff, since I really can't work on my mustang for awhile.

The Pyrex measuring cup, well..... She really does not care, she is really cool as long as I replace it, maybe.....
just get her one for christmas

I think you'll see improvements with the air scoop and new intake. just by building my stainless airbox for my truck I dropped the inlet air temps by a bunch. one think you might look into, I used header wrap on my K&N intake a few months ago and it helped tremendously over the stock polished tube. it looks pretty badass too. (dropped the IAT's over 25*)
Old 11-19-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jakebdb56
just get her one for christmas

I think you'll see improvements with the air scoop and new intake. just by building my stainless airbox for my truck I dropped the inlet air temps by a bunch. one think you might look into, I used header wrap on my K&N intake a few months ago and it helped tremendously over the stock polished tube. it looks pretty badass too. (dropped the IAT's over 25*)
he already did that on the intake tube. he wrapped it, fiberglassed over it, and painted it. looks good.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

What are you going to use for a pipe. Good work by the way
Old 11-19-2006, 08:01 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by dirtyratt
What are you going to use for a pipe. Good work by the way
I am just going to use 3" PVC, since metal would cost like $150. To do both sides and join them together with PVC is only like ~$30. Knowing how the rest of this project has gone it will cost twice that..... But it is fun, it gave some other members some ideas and my GF went out of town for a few days so I am bored....
Old 11-19-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1TRUCKGUY
he already did that on the intake tube. he wrapped it, fiberglassed over it, and painted it. looks good.
im talking about wrapping the intake with high heat resistant fiberglass header wrap, its a completely different thing than the fiberglass intake.

hey blackgmc, where'd you get a quote for the steel? it shouldn't be that much to do it out of metal, the PVC will be alright, just use sch.10 cellular core. also, you might look into duct work, it's flexible, heat resistant, and it's cheap. Im going to use that once I start on my scoop project this winter. my scoop is gonn have a different pickup location, right behind the front bumper
Old 11-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by jakebdb56
im talking about wrapping the intake with high heat resistant fiberglass header wrap, its a completely different thing than the fiberglass intake.

hey blackgmc, where'd you get a quote for the steel? it shouldn't be that much to do it out of metal, the PVC will be alright, just use sch.10 cellular core. also, you might look into duct work, it's flexible, heat resistant, and it's cheap. Im going to use that once I start on my scoop project this winter. my scoop is gonn have a different pickup location, right behind the front bumper
I did wrap the steel Intake tube with header wrap not fiberglass matting. I was able to find a place that sold 2X15 ft for like $10. Then I glassed over the header wrap. Similar to what you suggested in a previous thread.

for the steel I looked at airflow.com and I need 3 4" 90* bends ~$24 each. then I needed lit 5 for of 4" pipe with is like $10 a foot.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Question

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
I am just going to use 3" PVC, since metal would cost like $150. To do both sides and join them together with PVC is only like ~$30. Knowing how the rest of this project has gone it will cost twice that..... But it is fun, it gave some other members some ideas and my GF went out of town for a few days so I am bored....
The PVC piping will be heavy though. Is there something lighter, thinner and almost as strong that could be used as the piping?

Jim
Old 08-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Launching!

aluminum
Old 08-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by nemmarick
aluminum
This thread is like 1.5 years old.....

Quick Reply: HOMEMADE Tow Hook Scoops Pics Part-3 w/ How-To write up (56k suffer)