Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Hooker Aero Chamber

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker Aero Chamber

Im debating between two different mufflers... Right now my first choice is as the title says, a Hooker Aero Chamber. My second choice being a Magnaflow. My first choice was a Magnaflow 12589 which is the 22 inch, but after listening to some sound clips, I think I have switched to an Aero Chamber. But in the clips Ive listened to, I cant tell if its a 14 in or 22 in...

it might be obvious after looking at the lengths of mufflers Ive suggested, but I want a muffler that isnt going to drone too bad, or as minimal as possible, so thats why Im picking long mufflers.

Is this the right one for me? http://www.holley.com/21513HKR.asp Its a 22 inch long, offset in / center out, 3 inch diameter in/out.

Anyone have any helpful input?
Old 06-28-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would go with the hooker, I had one on my last truck and loved it. One of these days I will be replacing my magnaflow with one.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

had them both and love them both. currently have the magnaflow cause it is quieter. NO drone in the cab
Old 06-28-2008, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Im really at a flip flop with these two.. People say "listen to sound clips to see what you like." But a 14 inch magnaflow sounds way different than a 22 inch. Not to mention other things like gutted cats and stuff, so listening to clips doesnt really help cuz their setup is way different than mine.

Truckshop, do you have any more opinion on the aero chamber you had? Some drone? How much louder is it than the magnaflow and if so at idle, cruising, wot?
Old 06-28-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

The big hooker on my last truck was quieter then the big magnaflow on my truck now. Both had headers and no cats. With headers I would not go with the 14" magnaflow cause that is what I had for like a week after my LT's were installed and it would rattle everything in the truck.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a 22 inch Hooker Aerochamber welded into my stock catback before and after I got rid of the cats and put longtubes on.

Pre-longtubes and with cats it was pretty quiet with a good rumble and got a def louder than stock at WOT. I really liked it.

Post longtubes it was alot louder. Sounded really good at idle and accellerating. Sounded real mean. WOT was really, really loud. But I got alot of resonation at about 1600-2000 rpm, right around cruise speed. It was especially bad if you had a load on it. Like going up a hill. It got old and the wife hated the drone, so I swapped the stock muff back in.

I have come full circle though and I am making an exhaust setup with a 22 inch Magnaflow. I dont remember the part number but it splits inside the muffler. Edit:http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=7483

Last edited by COLDZ71; 06-29-2008 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 06-28-2008, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Okay.. Im leaning more towards the Hooker Aero Chamber now.

Cold Z71, was there much drone before you put the long tubes on with the Aero Chamber? Im not planning on going to LT's anytime soon so I dont think I will have to worry about that.

Thanks for all of your input. It makes it WAY easier than going through a couple setups until I find one that Im looking for.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm going with the magnaflow 12589, but I'm still going to see what local shops have to say about this muffler.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I'm going with the magnaflow 12589, but I'm still going to see what local shops have to say about this muffler.
About which muffler? The Hooker Aerochamber?

The 12589 is the magnaflow that i was looking at.. Are you having it installed soon?
Old 06-29-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TS77
About which muffler? The Hooker Aerochamber?

The 12589 is the magnaflow that i was looking at.. Are you having it installed soon?
I plan on going to some local exhaust shops on Monday. I was set on a Flo Pro 2503 until I found out that my stock exhaust was only single inlet. I guess the HD trucks have dual inlets. So I did an extensive search here and came up with the 12589 Magnaflow as the next best alternative. I don't want an obnoxious exhaust, or any drone or resonance in the cab. I did read though that those are hard requirements when dealing with a 6.0L. I'm just going to have the stock muffler cut out and the new one welded in.

Quick Reply: Hooker Aero Chamber